1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I borrow your battery charger/balancer/reconditioner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JamesG123, Jun 3, 2020.

1. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That’s good information, but are you sure that the sulfation doesn’t form and stay on the plates themselves? I’ve heard about it collecting at the bottom and eventually shorting out a cell, but the big question is does it actually stick to the plates? If it does stick to the plates then I can see how high voltage charging could clean them off better than hitting it with a hammer. And to my original point, that we do have control over battery life through charging methods.

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve been looking on eBay for adjustable power supplies and this is what I found: adjustable power supply 300vdc | eBay

On many of these models the voltage is adjustable from 0 to 300VDC and the amperage is adjustable from about 0 to 4A. Sometimes they require 240VAC input, which could be tough in my situation, living off the grid.

I was hoping to find adjustable power supplies that go to a higher voltage so that it can be used with other hybrid batteries. There are some that go up to 400VDC, but they pretty much all require at least 240VAC input.

I tried finding specs on Prolong, Maxx Volts and the “Venice hybrid tech high speed charger“ and it was difficult to get information about the output voltage and amperage on some of them.

Prolong- output is 0.350amps, output voltage unknown. Input voltage 120VAC for second generation Prius. If I knew the charger SKU for the second generation Prius I think this information can be found in the FAQ area.
    Maxx Volts- output amps and volts unknown, but I emailed them. Input is 120VAC.
    “Venice hybrid tech high speed charger“ – output is 286VDC, 1.4Amps for second generation Prius setting. Input is 120VAC.

I noticed that the Maxx Volts and the Venice hybrid tech high speed charger don’t have a feature to turn on the Prius’ cooling fan. Do you think that the batteries will get hot when charging at 1.4amps for an example? I know the batteries get hot when using regenerative braking, but regenerative braking charges at up to 60amps according to my observations. My guess is that 1.4amps won’t create much heat. What do you think?

The wiring looks insanely easy when connecting the power supply to the battery bank. It’s just two wires (positive and negative) from the power supply to the battery bank’s output terminals (2004 – 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions | Hybrid Automotive) but connecting to the car’s cooling fan might be tricky. It looks like the fan just takes two wires, probably 12VDC positive and negative. The goal is to keep the fan hooked up to the factory wiring so that it can turn on during normal use of the car, but splicing into the line and adding 12VDC might push power backwards into the system, which could be problematic. I noticed that the prolong system splices into the lines by using a special box with a cooling fan. At first I figured it’s just a matter of using diodes to prevent electricity from feeding backwards, but what’s with the cooling fan in their special box? Diodes don’t produce heat do they? Since the prolong system uses that fancy box that makes me think there is some kind of risk when feeding electricity backwards, so maybe the simplest solution is to just add a toggle switch to one of the wires upstream of where I splice into the wiring to turn off that connection while feeding power to the car’s cooling fan. Would that work? I apologize for being redundant, but I just want to be clear.

This seems super easy (unless I’m about to blow up my car’s cooling fan circuitry!) Now I just need to pick out a power supply! Any input on this crazy idea so far?

#102 JamesG123, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I forgot to mention the "lemming affect".
    If you really care, do some extended searching and look for real studies and opinions from "real" experts.
    There will be a LOT of self appointed experts spouting their unqualified opinions to sort through though.

Given the situation that you have described, you might actually benefit a little from what you propose to do.
    The key word is "a little".

Good luck.

Note: 50 years ago I bought an "elephant repellent" for a few bucks.
    Guaranteed to keep elephants away from your house.
    It has worked perfectly for 50 years.
    Hundreds of others report similar results.
    This is absolute proof that it works..........isn't it ??
    :)

JamesG123 likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sure some of it does. Where it will cause only a slight loss of capacity.
    BUT.....when it breaks loose, for whatever reason, and accumulates in the bottom, THEN it will eventually cause a serious problem.
    Does it really sound to you like causing it to pile up in the bottom FASTER is a good thing to do ??

5. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha you’re an interesting character SamSpade! First of all where did you/do you live that you need elephant repellent? Second of all, that’s HUGE that you’re saying that I might benefit “a little“ from a battery charger!! I’m sure everybody’s going to jump on you for saying that, but anyway, I appreciate the encouragement!

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not me. Most sane people here have Sam ignored. It makes this forum a much more pleasurable place and no important content is missing.

Raytheeagle and JamesG123 like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you getting for mpg's?

8. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I talked with Maxx Volts about their charger specs and from my perspective the guy was very unprofessional and down right insulting. He seemed more interested in selling his charger than answering my questions or informing me. I still don’t think that I have enough information to find out if their charger is safe because he never stated the voltage output of the charger. Isn’t that important to know? He makes it sound like I’m an idiot, but I’m pretty sure I need to know both the voltage and the amperage of the charger output to know how fast it’ll charge the batteries and to what voltage. He said the amperage is a little less than one amp and it’s a constant amperage, but without knowing the voltage how am I supposed to know if it’s going to damage the batteries? For example, even if it puts out low amperage, if the voltage is super high that it could overwhelm the batteries by charging them too fast AND overcharge them, which could damage them, correct? I’m definitely no expert, but it seems like knowing both are necessary.

The bottom line: did he give enough information to figure out if his charger is safe for the batteries?

Note: The attached file is a PDF of our email exchange and the emails start at the bottom of the page.

Attached Files:

#108 JamesG123, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  9. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t know, I guess it depends on if the batteries are designed to have space for that sediment to accumulate. Maybe the plates start a certain distance from the bottom? If so, there is less chance of for the plates to short out. And if that’s true then it IS advantageous to get the junk off the plates and have it go to the bottom. I guess I should probably look at an image of a battery to see how it’s designed.

10. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only 33 to 36 miles per gallon. Right before my battery problem it was about 42.

Also, just as a reminder I have no codes anymore since I replaced a module, but the battery bank is out of balance, so I think that’s the source of my low gas mileage.

bisco likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That in itself is a pretty fair statement of the physics. If it's putting a constant current into the battery, the voltage is going to steadily rise with the battery's state of charge*. If he feels his maximum voltage limit is proprietary IP, but he's adamant that the thing is specifically designed for your battery, then if you still wanted to deal with him, your next question could be about his warranty terms.

But I kind of agree, there's nothing about his attitude that argues strongly for doing business with him.

* for the most part. If I remember right, there's an interesting exception that happens right around full charge, but you're only likely to see it clearly while charging a single cell. 168 cells in series will smear the effect out too much.

JamesG123 likes this.
  12. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand what are you are saying, but if the output voltage of his charger is super high, for an example 1000 volts, even though that’s unrealistic, wouldn’t that increase both how fast the bank charges and the final voltage?

Since we don’t know the voltage output of his charger, we would have to monitor the voltage of the battery bank as it’s charging and turn it off before it gets too high, correct?

13. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I could edit older posts, anyway I just want to update some specs on the Maxx Volts charger. It DOES turn on the Prius fan to cool the batteries while it is charging.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, if you take at face value that his system is "ENGINEERED for the exact year make and model vehicle it’s being purchased for" then the voltage isn't a thousand volts and you don't have to do your own monitoring of it.

If you think he's just talking out his nice person about it, then either you monitor and turn it off yourself, or you buy from somebody else you believe when they say the voltage is right.

If he's reluctant to talk about his "proprietary" cutoff voltage (which you or any competitor of his would find in a matter of hours if you bought the product and plugged it in), then the only option left in the conversation is "ok, I have to take your word it won't kill my battery, so you cover my battery if it does, right?"

Judging from what I've seen, he'll probably say no, and you'll probably find that unacceptable, and the result will be that deal doesn't get made. Life will go on for both of you.

srellim234 and JamesG123 like this.
  15. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everything you’re saying sounds very rational.

Unfortunately, his is probably the most inexpensive version, even if I buy a universal power supply that is infinitely adjustable, since his charger also comes with the wiring to turn on the Prius cooling fan.

If you or anybody else knows of another charger/balancer for around $289, then please let me know! I’d rather give my money to a NICE person.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been known from time to time to pay a higher price for a competing product when something struck me as off about an inexpensive one.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another possibility would be another weak module almost failed.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    James, I am using the "MEAN WELL Constant Current Mode Switching LED Driver Power Supply, 350mA 28-100VDC". ($14.25 ea.) The output is EXACTLY the same as much more expensive, Prius specific units. You will need to purchase three of the Mean Well, wired plus to minus, to create 300v. I've attached some very old Pentium computer heatsinks to keep everything cool. Plus you will need a harness of your choosing. I monitor the voltage of the entire pack with a digital test meter.

Keeping the pack cool during charging. There are three ways to do this.

(1) Using the car's own fan. You will need a special wiring harness.

(2) A hepa filter blows lots of air. I had it already. Or perhaps a proper sized fan. You will need to create a crude duct.

(3) Remove the top metal cover over modules. It traps all the heat. Remove it and be amazed how cool the pack is, at a 350ma charge rate. If you live where it is insanely hot, place a fan horizontally right in the middle of the pack. The pack WILL stay at ambient temperatures.

To conclude, I would not consider spending a ton of money for a Prius specific device, as I purchased for 1k shipped a one year old Gen 4 pack. (eBay) It is stored in a cool and dry location. When I need it, the proper "forming charge" will be done.

Attached Files:

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you got a NiMH pack. The more plentiful Li-Ion ones will not work in your Prius.

fotomoto likes this.
  20. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, it is a NIMH pack. Since the "pack" will not fit a Gen2, I removed all 28 modules from it. :)

#120 Albert Barbuto, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Prodigyplace and JamesG123 like this.