1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I buy this Prius 2011 Salvage...?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ramank, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ramank

ramank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Attached are the pictures prior to the repair and just after the accident. It is a salvage title and fully repaired and restored to the original look. It is for sale for $15900. What do you guys suggest...? It has 4530 Miles on it.

Attached Files:

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Repairing a total compromises the safety of a car.

Consider the benefit reduced cost of the car. Consider the risk reduced car safety in the event of accident

Many times the car may wear tires out uneven, fluid leaks, etc

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What's the trim level?

The price at any trim level looks to be rather high given the history.

You can't see if there was any frame damage from the pictures. If it just needed a new inverter, misc engine/radiator and body parts there would be no "danger" in driving the car.

5. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW, that would be a total risk. I just got mine back from what was considered a minor accident, and the total was 10K. Steering and suspension were the hidden elements. It looks from the photos like you might be asking for more repair problems that it is worth. Good luck.

6. ramank

ramank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The trim is a II.

7. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't pay $15900 for the car with a salvage title. To answer the title of the thread, yes you can buy it if you have the $$$$$$s.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't even think about it. You would probably spend at least the price of the car repairing that unless you are REALLY handy with a lot of time.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd run away from a salvage Prius. I'd walk away from a salvage anything else.

ataylor2 likes this.
  10. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Consider that insurance companies are totaling cars like this because they dont want the liability of the repair, i.e. airbag might not deploy correctly next time. Now put in the mix that someone has fixed the car with one thing in mind, maximum profit on resell. I have seen cars like this, not even have airbags put back in, just the cover fixed.
    Also there are often 'hidden' fees and inspections needed to return a salvage car back to service. If you are still thinking about it, also take into account, that your future resell value is severely impacted.
    Price seems high, as I would normally say 30-50% reduction in price just for the salvage branding over the same clean title car.
    Oh and yes you can buy it. Should you? That you have to decide.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    These threads have always amused me. If you have to ask the question, then the answer is no.

The only circumstance to ever consider such is from a rebuilder with a high reputation that also offers a warranty.

12. Peter Dayeh

Peter Dayeh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would anyone think about buying a car with a salvage title???

13. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you are an expert body guy or know one who can look at the car and say with confidence that it was fixed correctly, no.

Plus I don't feel like that price is even that good of a deal. Sure the miles are low, but I'm thinking a relatively low mile non-salvage car won't be much more.

14. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The comments here are how you can get a great deal on a salvage car. Most people avoid them. You will have a harder time financing, especially since it can be difficult to get comp/collision insurance on a branded vehicle. This reduces the demand even more. Scared people and those that don't have the cash up front are eliminated from your competition.

My main concern is how long the vehicle sat while being auctioned/repaired. If it sat with a dead battery for a long time, that will affect the performance and life of the pack.

I'm considering buying rebuilt myself since so many are available and a good deal might be had. I'd knock at least 30 percent off of the KBB private party value. Start your offer at 50 percent though.

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a low end inexpensive and complex car like the Prius- it does seem like a bad idea.
    However, not all cars are inexpensive when new...

My brother in-law repairs and sells 2-3yo BMW's from his auto repair and body shop.
    -His typical customers have been buying from him for 20+ years- now their kids buy from him too.
    -He offers a 100% guarantee on the salvage repair.
    -His customers get a $40'000 to $70'000 brand new looking 2-3yo BMW for $20'000 with a guarantee from someone they've been doing business with for decades in some cases.

16. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Total agree, stay away from a salvage. Just asking for trouble, just my two cents!

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are too many variables that are AFFECTED by repairs to modern cars.

If it was a simple car like a 1967 Mustang, sure! They were made of mild steel with thicker metal with at least a "double" safety factor. The 1950's cars were made even stronger with a 300% safety factor.

They are now made as light as possible with integrated designed structures made from "hardened" alloys. Any repair except a fender bender on a cosmetic part, will compromise the integrity and safety of the car.

I'd RUN, not just walk away from it.

retired4999 likes this.
  18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buying a salvage title car is like buying a house that has been infested with termites for years. Just because it's been fumigated it doesn't mean it won't collapse in a wind storm.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Does he also include life insurance and final need expenses in the deal, too?

20. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These panic comments are beyond ridiculous. A motorcycle is 1000% more dangerous than that the most dangerously repaired Prius in the world. Tons of people ride motorcycles. Heck, a Prius with a wheel that is about to fall off is likely more safe than a Smart car.

Many of the rebuilt cars are driven for a long time by the person that repaired it, which exposes any issues it might have.

However, I'm happy so many people are afraid; it reduces the competition I have when negotiating the price of a perfectly fine rebuilt automobile. I'll let the scared people spend loads of cash on a new Prius, which hasn't been driven by anyone, and could potentially have a serious flaw right from the factory which hasn't been exposed since it hasn't been driven.

kingman likes this.