1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I drive a Prius without instructions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rickdm, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rickdm

rickdm New Member

After checking with 18 dealerships around Dallas I gave up and ordered a new Silver #6 from a dealer in Tennessee. So a week from Monday a truck will arrive at our house and drop the car off. At this point we are on our own. Is this like a regular car where I can just jump in hit the start button, put it in gear and drive off, or do I need to sit around reading the manuals to figure out how it works? How complicated is this thing?

I just hope all of you are right about how great this car is, because I have never been closer than 10' to a Prius, and never driven or even sat in one.

Regards,
    rickdm

2. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Sure you can drive it without reading the manual first. But you will want to read it soon. Lots of cool buttons to learn. The main thing is to have your foot on the brake while depressing the Power button. As you will see, you shift up for Reverse and down for Drive. The shifter will pop back to it's original position, so don't worry about that. Lights on the left, windshield wipers on the right. Don't try to figure out what all the buttons on the steering wheel are for while you are driving.
    Have your foot on the brake to stop (duh) and hit the Park button and then the Power to shut off.
    Then go read.
    Mostly, have a great time getting to know this wonderful car.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty easy to jump in and drive, but you'll quickly have questions.

If you want a jump start while you wait why not spend $10 at http://techinfo.toyota.com/ and download the owner's manual and start reading while you wait?

4. rickdm

rickdm New Member

Thanks. $10 for the manual doesn't sound too bad. We are off to Europe on Spring break and it will give me something to read.

rcikdm

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just drive it then the car will teach you how to drive it. You will relax, drive slower, drive happy and arrive on time.

6. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I made a deal over the internet for a car 500 miles away having never driven one, either. Even financed it. I was NOT disappointed!!!

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And when you have questions,you know where to come :wink:

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or save time by just hitting the Power button without hitting the Parking button first. You will notice the light on the Park button illuminate - signifying the system set the parking pawl in the tranny. The only times you really need to hit the Parking button is if you are going to temporarily exit the car without shutting down, or sit in the car for long periods without shutting down and be able to remove your foot from the brake.

[there are 5 threads here on PriusChat regarding the subject . . . but I ain’t linkin' ‘em all. Just type PAWL the search box on the bottom left.]

Oh, and don’t stare at the MFD screen to watch the pretty graphics change. YOU ARE DRIVING A CAR!!!

9. xevious

xevious New Member

Who would bother pressing "Park?" I've probably used that button ten times during the fourteen months that I've owned my Prius...

Don't worry too much about needing instructions; the Prius drives itself, until you reach a corner. At which point driver intervention is strongly suggested.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi rickdm.... You're gonna LOVE your new Prius - congratulations!

Another FREE resource for practical Prius information can be found in John1701's web site. John has just published his "plain English" Users Guide. Just follow the link below and you can download his Guide in either .pda or .doc format. And... it's FREE. Look on the opening page of John's site.

http://john1701a.com/

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :idea: Hello Again rickdm...!

After my previous post, I noted that you are in Dallas (as am I). We have a Prius Meetup Group which meets once a month to share Prius information and stories - on a Saturday toward the end of a given month. Please follow this link for more information and photos from our February meeting:

http://prius.meetup.com/43/events/4193726/

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'd test drive one either at a dealer near home or at a dealer while in Europe, and ask questions while testing one. If you were to corner most any present owner and explain your situation most likely they would spend a few minutes giving you the lowdown on the spot.

13. rickdm

rickdm New Member

Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. I downloaded the User Guide from John1701, I think that is going to be a big help.

I have always felt that life is too short to drive a dull car, and I think the Prius will definitely not be a dull car.

Regards,
    rickdm

14. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

My '05 gives a nasty beep if I shut down without puting the car into park first.

15. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    If you are in Munich, Germany, then give me a shout and you can take a quick look as my Prius.

16. rickdm

rickdm New Member

Victor, thank you for the offer. Because of an emergency with my sister I had to send my wife and kids off by themselves to Berlin and Prague. They should be there now. and I understand that it is very cold. I have wanted to see both of those cities for a long time, but sometimes you don't get a choice in these matters.

Regards,
    rickdm

17. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mine doesnt do that..

18. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The beep comes if you open the door before you shut it off. IF you just press Off then open the door...no beep. It's some type of warning about the car not charging the battery while in neutral....there's also a warning on the MFD.

So, if you come to a stop, press Off, open door and leave car...all works fine.

The only time I hit Park is if I'm sitting in the car waiting for someone.

As for the original topic of this thread. You'll have no problem getting in the car and driving...although you'll want to take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the controls (especially the auto trans). Make sure and watch the road and not the MFD :)

19. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I have never not used the park button. It's there for a reason and whether it's necessary or not, I don't care. I would hate for the park button to become jealous of all the other buttons I press.

20. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Helio,

Talk with your park button...have a heart to heart...I'll bet you it'll tell you it wouldn't be hurt if you bypassed it when it wasn't necessary. In fact, it may thank you for saving it's useful life. Think how happy it'll be when it's the springiest button on your dash when the car hits 10.

Oh, by the way...if the Park button does respond. Would you mind taking your Prius keys and throwing them in to the nearest deep body of water and then walking slowly away from the car and to nearest...umm...Toyota Certified Rubber Room? :)