1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I fly on an airline with a Toyota Prius HV NiMH battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by frostyjordan, Mar 24, 2022.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shipping and transportation regulations are mind numbing.

#21 TMR-JWAP, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I wouldn’t rely on being able to do it, regardless of what anyone might tell you in advance.

If the Ni-MH battery modules were being offered as air cargo, rather than as checked or carry-on baggage, IATA’s guidance document (PDF) suggests that they probably wouldn’t be restricted under the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, if properly declared. (See also 49 CFR § 172.102(c)(1), special provision 130.)

That might fly over at the cargo hangar, if you were a known shipper, but in the passenger terminal, it’s the operating airline’s FAA-approved carry-on baggage program that would control. Those requirements are enforced by employees whose training typically emphasizes the need to detect and exclude prohibited items, not how to apply the regulations to make shipments acceptable.

As @TMR-JWAP kindly mentioned, apart from weight and volume limits, there’s a risk that someone in authority would confuse your Ni-MH modules with lithium batteries, which are tightly restricted. Given the serious hazards of the latter, I’d expect most airlines would support an operations agent or captain who makes a good-faith, on-the-spot (but possibly incorrect) decision to honor the memory of Lampe and Bell and refuse to transport a substantial quantity of batteries, of any type, as baggage rather than properly manifested cargo.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why you never see MacGyver at check in anymore. He’s been canceled.

vvillovv likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ship them flat rate USPS priority mail and be done with it.

Simple, cheap and reliable in my experience shipping other things. NiMH cells are not hazardous goods according to USPS and are mailable. Just add sufficient padding to prevent shorting.

348 Corrosives (Hazard Class 8) | Postal Explorer

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has been an interesting and informative discussion. I wonder if @frostyjordan has read any of it. So far, just that first post.

vvillovv likes this.
  6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the TSA is detaining him?

vvillovv and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was waiting for a comment like that. Didn't need to wait very long, either. :LOL:

Another and vvillovv like this.
  8. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely pack to prevent shorting. NiMH batteries do not go up in flames all by themselves like Lithium ion batteries, but short a good conductor across its terminals and that will certainly become hot enough to ignite paper or cardboard. Hmm, I wonder if salt solution soaked paper or cardboard conducts enough to do that? I'm thinking "puppy pees out of its crate onto box of batteries". Not a likely event, but not impossible.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's probably stuck in hospital with a broken back from trying to lug a carry-on with 28 modules in it....

vvillovv likes this.
  10. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I fly a LOT. Weekly for 15 years. It would be risky.
    Policy changes often, TSA has written rules, Airlines have there own. Gate agents are flaky even if you have status.
    I've have flown batteries, electronics, guns, ammo, iMacs. etc. I have had no problems on most, $800 in damage that Wasn't covered on others.
    It is a solid MAYBE. Something that has personal value like these batteries are worse if they don't make it then your clothing. Obviously your trying to repair your car and don't want any further delays. The Risk of not having it make it doesn't outweigh the reward of having it actually work and make it. I would do UPS Ground in a well padded and protected cardboard boxes. Divide them into 4 boxes of equal weight and size. It might cost more but I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy.