1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I get the Nav option installed after market?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeannie, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius package 5. I've noticed that there are parts for sale for installing the Navigaion/GPS option on the Prius, but I don't know exactly what parts I would need. Can someone advise me?

I assume I'd have to get a dealer to install this, but are there other installers available who might be cheaper?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There was a topic, from maybe last winter sometime, by someone who had a dealer installed Nav system. Not to scare you off but as I remember things had not gone well. If we could find it (the topic) it might answer some of your questions. After reading about the problems I remember thinking that if I decided to get a Nav system I would either buy a good portable or sell the car and buy one that had a factory installed system.

Hint: If you decide to do it try to find someone who has installed the system before, on a Prius not just any car. If you succeed in finding someone they should be able to tell you what parts and pieces you would need also.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Different wiring harness, different MFD unit, I believe. Easier to get a good Tom Tom or other after-market GPS system. Several will give you voice guidance, like the Nav lady (She Who Must Be Obeyed). I think there's a Tom Tom model that even has John Cleese from Monty Python saying things like "When did you learn to drive?" if you make a wrong turn.

4. Stairman

Stairman New Member

Buy an aftermarket GPS. They're cheaper and better. Garmin, Magellan, TomTom all make them. I only have experience with Garmin, which I would recommend to anyone.