1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I "glue" my wheel covers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by teleport, Jan 29, 2016.

1. teleport

teleport New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Forum,

I want to run an idea by you guys:

Since the ornamental wheel covers don't interfere with removing the lug nuts...

...I was thinking of applying epoxy glue (Super glue, Gorilla glue, Loctite, etc.) to the backs of the covers so that they stick permanently to the alloy rims.

- Will that be strong enough to keep the covers from flying off upon, for example, hitting a curb?
    - Would vandals/thieves be able to pry the "glued" covers off by dissolving the adhesive with, for example, vinegar?

If the idea sounds great, please feel free to suggest brands, instructions, and whatever else handy.

Thanks a bunch and have a great day! (y)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's your car, you can do whatever you want.

IMO, the plastic wheel covers detract from the alloy wheels. They came off as soon as the center caps I ordered came.

Dylan Doxey and WilDavis like this.
  3. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Why would anyone want to steal the cheap plastic cover off a Prius? I dount they'll fly off, mine were pretty tight.

San_Carlos_Jeff and RRxing like this.
  4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Doesn't the wheel cover cover the lug nuts?

Even if they didn't, they will be in the way if you need to replace the tires.

Thieves won't care or know if they are glued on and will still try and pry them off. In the end they will either be taken or damaged.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you impact the wheel hard enough on a curb or pothole, you could lose the hubcap. I did when I was a teenager driving my sister's car. I contemplated hard about parking next to another same vehicle. With good cover, I could probably snatch off one hubcap without anyone knowing. I don't have $100 for a set of 4 from the dealer when I only need one. When you're a teenager facing the wrath of an older sister, you don't think straight.

Anyway, don't glue it. Will get in the way of changing tires.

Accordlayingkit likes this.
  6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took a look at Ebay and covers are selling for ~$25-$35. That's probably too cheap for thieves to mess with and also cheap enough that if you ever do lose or damage one it's pretty painless to replace.