1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I go for 6000 miles before an oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bigheadr, Jul 24, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First, even if the oil itself has not broken down, you have to consider blowby contaminants. Even CR figures 6K is fine.

But then there's the required maintenance interval which is 5K. Probably won't hurt your warranty to go to 6K once. But as was said, plenty of places to change oil throughout NA.

Speaking of which, I am now due for my 30K maintenance. I am hoping they can do my free oil change tonight, and I'll install the air filters (plural) myself after buying them from the parts counter while I wait for my oil change.

2. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

Thanks for all the oil change comments. My Toyota dealer scheduled a first 3000 mile oil change for my 05 Prius. My former Lexus dealer would comp the first 3000 oil change. As you know car dealers make their profit on nickels and dimes. It is a lot easier to get your nickel if you are in their store. I ignored the Prius first 3000 mile oil change and was feeling anxious so I read your comments. Thanks again. :guns:

3. Porridge

Porridge New Member

If the oil change period in the UK is 10,000 miles, why is it 5,000 miles in the USA? I e-mailed Toyota USA who said they could not comment on other countries. Hmm.

Now you know; how silly do you think you are changing oil at 3,750 miles? Crazy USA stuff not done anywhere else in the world.

If I want my warranty, I have to do the 5,000 mile change. My Toyota Yaris in the UK using the same 1.5L VVTI engine was 10,000 miles with no 1,000 mile service.

The nonsense of changing at the first 1,000 miles was removed almost a decade ago in the UK. Tighter manufacturing tolerances and more efficient oil pump systems negates the need for this. All you are doing is using up the same precious oil you are trying not to when gassing up a Prius. Oxymorron anyone?

My Prius is at 5,300 miles and will go in next week. I am about to embark ona 6,000 mile trip to the East coast and back. Oil change midway - I think not.

4. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get Amsoil and their SDF filter, and you can go at least 7500 on the XL oil, more on the non XL...My focus i change every 7500 using it, works great, never a problem....improves mileage SLIGHTLY, definately putting in my 06 prius.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amsoil is one of the best oils out there. I currently use the 5w30 XL Synthethic & K&N filter (HP-1003) and i'm very happy. I haven't even put 1000 miles on the NEW synthetic oil, but i'm looking forward to positive results (slight increase in MPG, smoother engine)

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There has been plenty of discussion of this subject on PriusChat.

According tho those in the know, the standards for motor oil in North America are outdated; as a result of the lax standards, most of the engine lubricating oils available in the United States and Canada will deteriorate over the long haul to provide the necessary protection.

7. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Somehow it boggles the mind... :roll:

I mean Prius owners (who typically are eco-friendly when it comes to consumption of natural resources) that are replacing their engine oil well before the recommended intervals.

Every 3,000 miles? That's ... :silly:

Oh well...

I run Mobile 1 @ 6,000 mi (+/-) intervals...

8. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    California coastal driving is relatively clean and temperatures are moderate. I changed my Toyota oil yesterday at 15,750 to Pennzoil Platinum. I noticed today that 3 of the bottles are 10-30 and only the first one off the shelf was 5-30. Anyone really know what I would risk staying with this crankcase-full until 20,00 miles, then back to all 5-30?

9. popoff

popoff New Member

With your moderate temperatures, there would be no problem to wait until 20,000 miles.