1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I just replace the original speaker to Prius jbl speaker

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kwm488, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Kwm488

Kwm488 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

Can I just replace the stick speaker to Prius jbl speaker? I know prius with jbl speaker have jbl amp. But if I just change the speaker to prius gen2 jbl speaker. Is it work?

Because the stick speaker amp and jbl amp harness is different. I don’t know how to do, moreover, I used pioneer car unit already

Best regards

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Upper right corner there's a button, that'll allow you to edit that title, for the next 11 hours and 58 minutes, if I'm not mistaken. ;)

3. Kwm488

Kwm488 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since you are using an aftermarket Pioneer headunit, get any quality door speaker and all will be well.

JBL equipment is meant to be used with factory JBL equipment. Trying to mix components is not a good idea. JBL sepakers in a non-JBL system will likely sound bad and will likely die an early death.

5. Kwm488

Kwm488 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. So I don’t consider jbl. Honestly, changing pioneer head unit, sound have lot of improve. Btw, if I want to change the speaker, do you have any suggestion? Bose or altec? Need to change the harness?

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Pioneer headunit has more power than the weak non-JBL factory head unit. That is why the factory speakers sound better w/ the Pioneer.

Upgrading the speakers even w/ the factory head unit would have had the biggest impact.

Speakers come at various price points and have different sound characteristics. You will be happy with whatever you choose b/c it will be a huge improvement over the factory speakers. Avoid speakers that have a paper or foam surround; won't last as long as a speaker w/ a rubber surround. Stick w/ the bigger name brands that have been around. You would be happy w/ any of these:
    Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Kenwood, Kicker, Polk Audio, Pioneer, Sony, JBL, Polk Audio, JL Audio, JVC, MTX​

If you add a subwoofer and a multichannel amp (ideally 5channel: 4door speakers + 1 subwoofer), you will definetly want to run new and thicker speaker wire to each door. This set-up would give you the best sound. However, if you want to spend as little as possible, you could have the head unit power the doors, using the factory wiring harness, and get a separate subwoofer that is powered or an amp + subwoofer.

You should search "how to upgrade audio systems" or similar words to learn more.
    Read these sites as a start:
    A 5-step plan for upgrading your car stereo system
    How to Build the Ideal Car Stereo System | Car Bibles
    Upgrading Your Car Audio System by Replacing Stock Speakers | MTX Audio - Serious About Sound®

#6 exstudent, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    SFO likes this.