1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I leave it plugged in for a month

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by georgekessel, May 3, 2017.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My colleage has an i3 which says in the manual not to leave plugged in for more then a few days, to avoid some sort of battery issue.

On my Prime I'd like to leave it plugged in when we go out of town because my charger is outside (fenced in but thiefs are relentless) and by leaving it plugged in and prius-locked we can help prevent the charger from being stolen

Can I leave the Prime plugged in for a month?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can, but it's not a great idea. you should leave the battery empty, not full, for long term health.
    how difficult would it be to remove the charger, is it hard wired?

3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It would seem to me, if I were a determined crook, and you had the Prime locked onto the charger, I would just get a bolt cutter to separate the charger from the car, and then steal the charger. Heck, if you were gone that long, and the car was unsupervised, I'd worry about some crook crashing your fence, and flat-bedding your car. My rule is, out of sight, out of mind. It really depends on the locale and supervision. I have been vandalized and had cars nearly stolen, and/or stripped of some major hardware in a carport several times (cheap management had deemed guards too expensive and unnecessary), in Huntington Beach, California, a so-called nice neighborhood! I ended up taking the "restored" car (3 months and over $15,000 to fix) and locking it up for over a year in a friend's garage til I sold it! I feel for ya!

I guess the location is secure? I'm just curious because you indicated apprehension regarding the security of the charger which along with the expensive car would be my first concern. Also, is the Prime an Advanced which comes with Entune Locator, and Safety Connect? If security is NOT a problem, then the focus is on the charging.

#3 HPrimeAdvanced, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't you plug it in but switch off the electricity at the mains/breaker?

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great idea!(y)

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle: