1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I program a new SKS key with Techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigblu_1, Aug 19, 2018.

1. bigblu_1

bigblu_1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2006 Prius with the Smart Key System (the silver logo key). But it came with only one key. I want to make a new one (with SKS functionality). If I have a Techstream scanner, can I get a used/secondhand SKS key off eBay or something and program it to my Prius. The SKS key I have right now works perfectly. I just want another key just in case!

I already know I can buy a new SKS key for like $150 and do the chicken dance. But I'm wondering if I can just get a used SKS key for like $25-50 and program it using Techstream.

Dealer charger $350 for a new key, so that is completely out of consideration.

Thanks for your guys' help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can, but check the threads here to be sure.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is easiest to do it with a new unprogrammed key. Get one from ebay that is new or virginized.
    Then you can add it to the car yourself without the need for any tools. Search for "chicken dance".

Otherwise, you can use Techstream for programming a used key, but the whole process seems a little sketchy. Don't get too scared.
    You probably won't get ripped off, but don't blame me if you do. :)
    Basically involves using Techstream for the 96 character seed code/number and then using a service for the pass code number.
    Likely you will want to contact some eastern bloc web site and you will probably have to pay in Euros. Generally about 25 Euros.
    Use google to find options.

edit: I also see that there may be some services on other popular auction web sites. These listing may come and go when they get shut down so I'm not posting direct links.

edit 2: Here is a link to a 23-page Toyota document that shows some screenshots of what to expect when going through the process in Techstream including the 96 Character Seed number.
    https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2015/10/96213_T-SB-0043-14.pdf
    (See page 12)

#3 ericbecky, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    bisco and m.wynn like this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the key is new/virginized key does not need any tools (like techstream) to program.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^ what Eric said. If new just do the dance.

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV