1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I pull a Gen 2 Prius engine out by myself?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Jun 25, 2024 at 2:38 PM.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a junker/wrecked parts-gen2Prius in my backyard had around 250K miles before accident. In total I have 3 of them (2 working + the wrecked one). I'd like to get rid of the junker as I'd like to clean up around the house tbh. I made a thread about 2 years ago asking what to pull...everything mentioned by you guys has been pulled (headlights, dash, mainscreen, HV battery, etc.) Currently my dog is always sticking her nose by the car, so I'm pretty sure there is a family of mammals living under there. Moisture has also created a lot of mold in the interior...so that's all trashed too.

Really only thing left is whatever is under the hood.

How should I go about doing this? is it even possible without some kind of lift (meaning ...can I take the engine out & apart piece by piece) OR should I hire help and pull the engine out OR should I just get rid of it altogether (Prius engines are relatively cheap). Other than the brake-actuator not sure if its worth the hassle.

Thoughts?

EDIT: called salvage yards and if all the valuable parts are pulled they pay by weight (roughly $100 per ton). Gen 2 Prius weight is roughly 2900lbs so at most I'd be getting a few hundred dollars out minus their tow-fee so only a couple of hundred bucks.

[​IMG]

#1 priuslyfe, Jun 25, 2024 at 2:38 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024 at 3:08 PM
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh that's no problem You just jacked that baby up put some kind of a cradle under it you can stack 6x6 beams whatever trips your trigger You're not really going to get under there very much. There are a few bolts that hold the whole subframe to the frame of the car when they come out the engine is coming down with the transmission so you need to have the drive axles out or you can undo the strut tops leave the wheels on and all that business put a tall jack under the car or some stands and some wood blocks Make sure the jack is able to keep the mess compressed and you can blast out the bolts without even being under the car to be honest about your arm will be but you'll get that out of the way and let go of the gun if something goes amiss I promise you so you might crush your DeWalt 1/2-in gun probably won't hurt it and then you'll come to the jack and you'll let the mess down and then use a pry bar to lift up on one side of the assembly you just dropped on the ground so you can pull your jack out and then there you have it the engine and transmission strut tops complete units hubs wheels attached and all or sitting on the ground flat ready for you to separate the engine and transmission remove intakes and exhaust whatever you want to take off drive axles hubs it's all right there for the taking You're staring at it this is like 2 hours worth of work generally speaking without special equipment If you have a ganyard setup which is like a swing set frame and a come-along attached I have an electric hoist attached You just put that up over the car pick up the front end where you want it put the 6x6s under it. Now set the car down to move the ganyard cable from your setup attach it to the engine hoist points lift up until the cables tight now you can freely get under the car blast the bolts loose undo whatever you want then get out from under all of that and push the button and let the motor subframe complete assembly right down as you like.

priuslyfe likes this.
  3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Thank you for the reply I don't have any access to the tools but I'd like to do it myself...

BUT...is it even worth it?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It’s not worth it unless you have the right tools and a lift. By the time you bought the tools you might recoup their cost. Even then you would be selling parts of unknown function which might cost you return shipping fees and aggravation.

One shop I know does strip them all the way to a bare metal unibody and has a warehouse full of parts. He gets his money back with the cat sale and everything else is gravy. He has spares to replace bad parts.

Another shop simply keeps the cars in his parking lot and pulls parts as he needs them. He grabs the cat first after losing a few to bandits.

You might try listing certain parts locally and treat it like a pick and pull. I would pull the parts I might need for my own cars (minus the complete engine) and call the tow truck.

priuslyfe likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's why mine My one spare car just sits in the yard over in the corner where you can't see it hood on it engine covered running perfectly when it's connected to stuff and I may use it I may not who knows but I have it and it's not costing me anything.

6. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    actually someone wanted to buy a part for $100 that he would pull. I thought better of it though because once he knew where I lived what's to stop him from pulling a part whenever he wanted for free?

guys who frequent salvage yards aren't known for their ethics.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Interesting analogy for sure. Well I have a next door neighbor so somebody could come out here and pick their part and take it off no problem no one's ever asked. But I got a neighbor that's home 24/7 man before you can get up the driveway he'd be calling and ask him and Tom that guy's back with the green car whatever the heck and so on But no I don't notice people buying salvage parts and all that to be too much lacking in the ethics department actually I find it more funny the people on the marketplace our peers that are trying to rip off folks left and right it is hysterical I mean you call these people up and ask them about something and then block you and tell you you're some kind of a murderer or rapist or some crazy off the wall nonsense because you asked them what happened to the left side of the car in the picture literally It is that crazy It is comical it's just something else.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do tell me, about the ethics of guys who frequent salvage yards....

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Why steal a part and risk jail or getting shot when the parts are cheap on the big salvage yard in the cloud known as eBay.

Of course I would not leave a gen2 cat out there with the crazed methheads willing to die for another hit.