1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I purchase a new HV Battery?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PrimeLife4Eva, Nov 14, 2017.

1. PrimeLife4Eva

PrimeLife4Eva New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am looking to service the whole HV Battery Assembly in my Prime. So I know the part number, G9510-47140, and have actually found it on the Toyota estore (not able to provide link on here) but for some reason I cannot buy it. Is this assembly serviceable? Does anyone know where I can get it from? Thanks in advance.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2017 Prime should be under warranty.

I would guess that Toyota treats the Prime as they treat all the rest. The battery is a part and the dealership can order. Most dealerships will refuse to order for you. As with the earlier Prii in 2004 all the new packs are probably going into cars, none are sitting on a parts shelf. So to order you would need to find a willing dealership, pay full market price plus a core charge, and then Toyota will allocate one from the assembly line and ship out to you, perhaps months later.

3. PrimeLife4Eva

PrimeLife4Eva New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That would make a lot of sense, I mean at this point warranty claims would not be expected, so the battery units would likely all be heading into vehicles on the production line. Off topic but do you know if this was something offered with the first gen. plug-in (2012-2015)? It might provide an indication of whether this functionality will be provided by Toyota in the future for the Prime. From what I have seen, you cannot buy the full HV battery assembly in the first gen. plug-in, all you can do is service the separate modules.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota doesn't sell batteries to the general public. But I can't fathom why you would want to buy one. Even my 2013 battery is still under warranty.

As for the 1st Gen plug-in, I've only heard of one going bad and it was under warranty. The owner had to wait a while for the replacement to arrive. I just did some searching for that thread and can't find it right now.

Mark57 and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    what does, 'i am looking to service the whole hv battery assembly' mean?
    afaik, toyota doesn't service the modules, the dealers just replace entire packs.

6. PrimeLife4Eva

PrimeLife4Eva New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for all the feedback on this topic. I have found that you can technically purchase a full hv battery assembly, e.g. all modules, bms, junction boxes, wiring etc., from a dealership, however, currently there is a stop sale in place with three left in the whole of the US. As for individual module servicing, it can be completed on the Prime - google any of these: G9508-47230, G9509-47030, G950A-47030. Jerry I have already driven 200,000 miles in my vehicle.

SFO and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  7. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can you please elaborate on how the battery has been after 200k miles?? That’s incredible for one year. You’ve been driving almost 600 miles everyday. I can’t imagine the toll on your battery in that span of time.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never mind your back.

at that kind mileage, doesn't the battery get very little use?

Trollbait, priuscatprimeguy and scona like this.
  9. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    lessee, 30 miles per charge, minimum 2 hour per charge so.........200,000 /30 =6666.666666 charges at 2 hours each so 13,333.333333 hours /24 hours 555 days:eek:

10. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hope you’ll share with us how you managed to accumulate that many miles in a year!

11. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The battery would have been used as much as a normal Prius but I imagine only in its lower 30% as it always operated as an HV.

Maybe using it in perpetual hybrid mode does more harm to the battery than regularly topping it off?

12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, congrats are in order for being the first to break the 200K barrier, and so soon.

Likely, the mileage negates any hybrid/traction battery warranty, if it comes up.

Yet, I am perplexed with the question and answers thus far from the OP. Assuming you have had the Prime for one full year since last November's rollout = 365 days (or less?). I will assume you have at least one day off per week. That's driving 638 miles per day. Assuming you might charge twice per day at L2 speeds (another 4.2 hours to do that), your driving days with charging times would need to be ~13 hours long. EV would get you 1/7 of a tank in range at most at highway speeds with two full charges/day, unless you do something special like operating in charge mode often, and using even more gas to do it. At two charges per day and 1/7 * 200,000 miles, that's less than 30,000 miles in EV mode. Impressive, but would that kill a one year old traction battery? Doubt it. Tesla's are good for >250,000 miles of pure EV usage, with only 7% degradation. And that's for the older 5 year tech.

Why a Prime? Gas mileage?

#12 DavidA, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think some PiP batteries came up on EBay early on, I guess from wrecks.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW!!! (y)
    Do you drive all day on the Interstate? I can see why you're concerned about the battery, but I would think that it can't have had many full range cycles. Probably loafing compared to the average Prime.

bisco likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...may want get some help from TampaPrius if that is the correct user name, he could maybe advise on this

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have seen your question come up before on other plug-in forums with similar results on (not) getting a new one. Those folks have found the best avenue is to buy a fresh one out of a salvaged car.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The good thing about that is they are cheap since nobody needs a new battey yet (except for OP)

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The bad thing is that there are so few on the road that you will have to be patience in waiting for one to become available.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^Catch-22. I'd say call Toyota HQ as they may be interested in testing the batt

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    bisco and Prodigyplace like this.