1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I recharge my 12V battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sherlockcrypto, Jan 20, 2022.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well that's a pretty good point actually. (y)

But I would hope that the electronics in the car are designed well enough so that they will NOT come on just from the application of operating power.

2. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not true.
    It can, and probably will, charge just fine at a voltage somewhat below that.
    If the nominal float voltage of your battery is 12.8, it will charge with the application of any voltage above 13.4.
    Slowly maybe but some.

3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is exactly how it is supposed to work.
    You are close to being done........hopefully.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One of the array of electronic 12 volt battery testers is what you need, to assess the battery's health. Watching a charger struggle with it doesn't really tell you that much. I use an older Clore Solar BA5; current itteration is BA9, and there are lots of choices. Antec is popular I think. These sorts of testers are what the dealership use, and automotive retailers. The latter will typically test for free.

#24 Mendel Leisk, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  5. sherlockcrypto

sherlockcrypto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've learned a lot about car batteries the past few days.
    After charging overnight, the charger shows 100%. Multimeter is showing 12.92V

This is an AGM battery btw. So from what I am figuring out is that even at 12V, the other metrics like CCA might not be good enough? or that it will lose charge quickly? I will bring it to an Autozone near me for a battery health check...

With Prius however, my understanding is that we don't need that much CCA since all the battery does is start the system, not the engine? The battery i am using is rated for 325 CCA.

I will let it sit for a few days and then see what the voltage is then to see if it loses charge quickly. Hopefully it should still start prius.
    I am also wondering how long the car battery can last if i keep doing this? Is it possible to have the car battery last 10+ years? I am already at year 7, averaging only about 7000 miles per year, as I am a light driver. Even if only at 50% health, if i can get another 3 years, that is a win in my book...

upload_2022-1-21_11-36-32.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not really. The "nominal" fully charged voltage for an AGM usually is about 12.8 to 12.9.
    12.0 is about 50% discharged.
    Those tenths of a volt are important.

You have a good plan. Just keep an eye on it for a few days.
    But at 7 years old it is on borrowed time.