1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I replace the base radio with a JBL radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ambrothe, Sep 20, 2009.

1. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere on this, so I thought I'd ask the group. I have a 2005 package 4 with the base radio, and I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 JBL radio with CD changer. Would I be able to simply swap out the two radios, so that I have use of the CD changer, or is there more to the JBL radio that would make me unable to install it in place of the base radio? I'm not looking for some increase in performance, just the added CD changer that comes in the JBL radio. Thanks!

2. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to guess no. The JBL has 4 more speakers and uses an amp under the passengers seat, I'd bet it's a completely different harness back there, but I'm not sure.

4. Gaujo

Gaujo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bump! I'd love to do this! Is there any more info out there?

5. esoterikest

esoterikest New Member

bump... anyone try this?

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed the JBL system in our '08. At the very least you will need the 6 disk changer and the JBL amp. To do it properly you will need the JBL speakers also. You will have to construct a wiring harness (or get one from a salvage car) to go from the radio to the JBL amp and you will also have to add wiring to the front doors for the tweeters at the least and if you are installing all the JBL speakers you will have to modify the rear door speaker wiring, add the center speaker wiring and cut a hole in the dash for the center speaker. All in all it's not a terribly complex process but it is time consuming.