1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I sell my unused HOV stickers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sotagear, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sotagear

sotagear New Member

I realize this may be a tired question, but I looked around the net a bit and couldn't find the answer. I was wondering if it is legal to sell these stickers? I received mine about 2 months after I bought my 2005 Prius and they have stayed in the envelope ever since. Just thought it might be useful for someone that can't get them and travels a lot during rush hour. I don't, and work from home so really don't need them.

Cheers,
    -Dave

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    They are linked with the VIN on your car. So you can't sell them legally.

3. sotagear

sotagear New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Apr 26 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]430798[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected there must be something that connected them to a particular vehicle. Now of course the next obvious question is, will anyone actually get pulled over and have their stickers checked against their VIN? I'm all for keeping stuff on the up and up but I'm also open to what are the considered opinions from Prius owners about selling these anyway, or if I should just keep them until I sell my car at some time in the unforseen future?

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sotagear @ Apr 26 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]430803[/snapback]</div>
    SELL at YOUR own Risk if you want but that's your problem if you get caught

5. sotagear

sotagear New Member

Understood. Thanks.

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your best bet is to keep them right where they are, in the envelope with the certificate, in the glove box.

They only cost you $8, even if some folks think they're more valuable on the black market.

7. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA 2013 Prius Plug-In Base in Winter Gray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    AND they may increase the resale value of your Prius if and when you decide to sell it or trade it in.

8. Tony_Min

Tony_Min New Member

At first I wasn't going to get mine because I drove a company car. But then when they extended the time to 2011 I figured I better get them before they ran out. I got some of the last stickers handed out.
    Then the company I worked for started going through a rough patch and I was temporarily layed off. While off work I found an even better job, more money, better conditions. Only, I had to drive my own car....
    I quickly put the stickers on and today for instance I was in the HOV lanes and passed all those cars stuck bumper to bumper at a good clip. Man that feels good.
    I would be so upset now if I hadn't gotten these stickers....

9. sotagear

sotagear New Member

Yes, I believe the best course of action is to hold on to them for whatever the future may bring, even if that means nothing in the long run. After all, other than having to open a FastTrak account, a small amount of paperwork, and waiting in line for a few hours, there was not much of a personal investment involved in obtaining these stickers in the first place.

10. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can't legally sell them - and if you did, the buying party would also know that...

However, if you really wish to monetize the value of the stickers... you should consider putting them on the car and then selling it (and then turn around and buy a new / used Prius without stickers). I saw somewhere an evaluation that said Prii with stickers are worth about $4000 more than Prii without. This difference represents the value of the stickers and will diminish as we approach 2011 and they expire.

Good luck...

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, sotagear, for thinking sensibly---far too many people just don't think clearly.

The stickers will probably bump the resale value by more than $8 if you sell the car. And, as you realize, even if not, no big deal.

The few hours you spent in line was probably worth far more than $8, unfortunately...