1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I take 3 bikes with me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kearnshippy, Nov 10, 2016.

1. kearnshippy

kearnshippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius and wanted to know if there's any way to attach 3 bikes to take on a road trip. The total weight of the bikes is about 80ish pounds.
    Usually when I go on vacation, I take my van with a yakima swing daddy rack. But the rack is a 2" and it looks like the hitches most people on the forums recommend are 1.25". Is it even possible to use a 2" hitch or am I putting too much weight on it? Or is a roof mount a better option? Or is there a good way to attach a trunk mount rack?
    Also, I don't want to overload the car, but the total weight of the passengers is about 400 pounds (there are two kids). Thanks very much in advance!

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're fine. Four 200 lb adults is 800. Others tow much heavier trailers with no issues even if it's against factory recommendations.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2" hitches for the Prius (Example) and there's no problem with having one or using it for light duty, like a bike rack with 3 bikes. There's no real point of putting a 2" hitch on a Prius though (unless it's main purpose is for such a bike rack). Generally 2" hitches are for class III-IV trailers which are 6,000-14,000 pounds, way out of range for the Prius. I don't think I would ever tow more than 2,000 pounds with a Prius (and then only at *low* speeds in town), which a 1 and 1/4" makes a lot more sense for.

If you don't mind the pain that's involved in mounting it, I would look at a trunk mounted bike rack. With a top mounted rack, you're going to get a lot of additional drag. Otherwise the hitch racks are a lot easier to use.

The user manual I've seen states the maximum weight that the Prius can carry as 810lbs (I think the number is on the door jam). Using that figure, 400 lbs of passengers and 100 lbs of bikes and bike rack would still leave you with 300lbs. leftover for cargo.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use a trunk mount with 3 bikes. Saris bike trunk mount holder. Works like a charm and took on 10 hour road trip

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kearnshippy likes this.
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Get a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter and you're good to go. Available at any auto parts/sporting goods store or Walmart, etc.

[​IMG]

kearnshippy likes this.
  7. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $109 for the draw tite hitch and $35 for the allen sport 3 bike hitch.

You can get a 2" adapter if you plan to also tow a trailer but is has to be a drop down adapter i believe for it to work correctly based on the prius's height. Then you would also need a light adapter kit to get the lights power.