1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I Take Out The Navigation System From My Prius And Install It In Prius IV, 2, or 3 Without NAV?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusChatFan2018, Dec 10, 2018.

1. PriusChatFan2018

PriusChatFan2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I currently have a 2011 Prius IV with engine issues, and am looking into purchasing another used 2010+ Prius IV, 2 or 3, with the lowest mileage. The ones I've found with the lowest tend to not have the Toyota pre-installed navigation on them. Can I take the pre-installed navigation that came with my current Prius IV and place it in a 2010+ Prius IV, 2 or 3 which doesn't have the pre-installed navigation. How complicated is this? I believe I know how to uninstall the system from my current Prius, and place it in the dashboard of a non-navigation Prius, but am not sure if the wiring will match up. Is the installment possible and what do I need to do the get the wiring to work, and how much would it cost to have this done by a Toyota dealership or professionally done by someone else? Any responses would be appreciated.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be expensive to have someone else do it. It should be feasible if you want (badly enough) to do it yourself. From your current car, you'll need to collect not just the nav headunit, but the GPS antenna (stuck to the underside of the dash top cover) and the microphone (I think it's up in the map light assembly), as well as the wiring leading to those. You might want to just collect the whole instrument panel wiring harness while you're at it.

The 2010-11 nav headunit also implied an audio amp below the passenger seat. The non-nav radio in another car might not come with that amp, in which case you'll want to move that over too, with the wiring leading to it.

2012 and newer changed the headunit choices, and the connectors to them, and would be a more complicated adaptation project.

-Chap

Robert Holt likes this.