1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I use a spare tire from a 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fsu23phd, Mar 15, 2023.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Silly question. I have a 2010 Prius II, and a 2016 Prius Two Eco. The 2010 has a spare tire, and the 2016 does not. Both are the standard 15 inch tires.

I just got a new car (2023 Bolt EUV, also no spare). I am wondering if I can take the spare tire from the 2010 and put it in the 2016 (I realize that this will require a bit of instillation and maybe even a tad bit of construction). But, do you know if the tire bolt pattern and size are compatible? I could take the tire off and try the spare on, but I'm hopeful that someone here can confirm one way or another.

Thanks in advance!

2. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    It should work as a spare. Strapping it to the trunk is the hard part. Some folks here said its impossible because it wasnt shape to take a donut.

fsu23phd likes this.
  3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You should still have a spare tire punch out under the foam below the trunk. You can buy the foam inserts that come with gen4 with a spare or use a jigsaw and carve out space for it in the foam you have. Did you keep the screw in bracket from your old spare tire? It'll still fit in that hole, at least the parts from my 2013 fit in my 2016

Your old spare may be getting old. Make sure the tire itself can hold air and doesn't have any cracks.

fsu23phd likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'll work. The 3rd gen spare size is actually closer in OD (Outside Diameter) to the stock 198/65R15 tire size than 4th gen; not sure why they changed. It's at most 1/8" less in OD.

You can check the OD variation for yourself, by stacking the temp spare atop a regular wheel/tire, on a slab. Align the outside faces with a carpenter's square on one side, then go 'round the other side and again press the carpenter square up against the tires, to see the variation.

fsu23phd likes this.
  5. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome thanks, yes indeed I have the 2010 still, I plan to give it to my nephew when he graduates in a few months (with a tire repair kit).

Yes, the old spare still works. I've had this car for 13 years and didn't need the spare until a tire got screwed about a month ago, I had an air compressor and the spare, and it did the trick. this is what triggered my interest in keeping the spare. :)