1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I wash Engine bay with car wash mode soap+wax?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nahaku, May 23, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good.

Over here, Castrol sells an engine degreaser at the local parts store. You could use the equivalent product in the U.K. to get to the hard-to-reach places.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've offered my opinion on this topic before.
    But I also use to live near one of those coin operated spray wash set ups. And I don't know how many countless times I would pass by watching someone using the spray to clean their engine, then maybe hours later pass by, and see them parked with the hood up, desperately trying to get the vehicle to start.
    These were ICE vehicles.
    There's no way I would recommend using coin operated spray wash soap and wax on a Prius. Too many computer and electronic elements. Too many vital connections and wires. Even if trying to use low pressure, the risk IMO isn't worth it.

3. GabrielD

GabrielD Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    I am sure that car producers always keep in mind to isolate all the parts subject to water failure...
    If you have compressed air after washing, to blow away any water remaining, you can safely use high pressure water wash.
    I did it to my car, and I will do it how many times is needed.

4. Nbrown3534

Nbrown3534 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do it by hand, it's not like you're washing a 1 ton truck.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The idea is to not use the "high pressure" cycle at those type of car washes. Just spray on the one part Mr. Clean and 2 parts water, and use the "spotless rinse" cycle. No need for the high pressure. I have done this with ICE engines for decades, never a problem.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gonna weigh in again: I don't see how high pressure, vs a blast from a hose, vs (hey) just pouring water over everything, is a night-and-day difference. On third gen (I know, not the subject), of at least one potential, and potentially VERY expensive, weak spot: the AC compressor 12 volt connector.

This cavalier "I want a clean engine, what can go wrong" thing, if it works for you, go for it. I wouldn't risk it.

Side note: if you're spraying degreasers, and even just gobs of soap concentrate, this stuff runs down the driveway, along the curb, into storm drains, and on to nearby streams.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Okay, an alternative:

Take off a reasonable amount of stuff. The ornamental plastic valve cover "cover" for sure. Also the intake air snorkel and air filter box. Any plastic trim pieces atop the radiator too, if possible.

A wet/dry vacuum that can both suck and blow is good. Vacuum what you can, then switch to blow, and use brushes, boa duster, what have you, in conjunction with the blown air. A leaf blower will also work, or if you've got an air compressor, even better.

after dusting, get a pail of hot water, with just a tablespoon of car wash liquid, and a terrycloth rag. Soak and ring it out. Then wipe over whatever is reachable and looking grubby: coolant reservoirs, brake fluid reservoir, fuse box lid, inverter cover, valve cover (the real one), conduits, metal bodywork around the edges, intake manifold* and so on. The wipe down all the pieces you previously removed, and reinstall them.

The latter is worthwhile being removed and cleaned thoroughly, outside and (more importantly) inside, every once in a long while.

IMG_2494.JPG

#27 Mendel Leisk, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've debated this before, in other threads.
    It's really becomes clearly one of those things, where you have people who have done it with so far no repercussions, so they feel it's a perfectly viable operation.
    Again, however, I just saw too many people having trouble after using the coin operated high pressure sprayer. And these were just regular ICE.
    With a Prius and all the additional Electronic and Computer components? No way I'd clean my engine using a high pressure sprayer, on the low setting or not. Usually those things aren't in the best of shape, and too easy to accidentally hit the high pressure.

I think REALLY careful wipe downs are really the best way to go. I was able to keep my Prius engine bay looking good enough to me, by just wiping it down occasionally. I do the same with my Fit. The engine bay may not be quite "steam cleaned" showroom clean, but it's good enough to me.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Duly noted Mendel. I should add, that at the car wash, the water goes to their recycling system. Thats why I do the engine cleaning there. The "spot free" cycle is a very fine light mist. I only go over what has accumulated dust, as the covershield underneath keeps dirt out. I agree with everyone. Power washing the Prius engine compartment is risky. But to each their own.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah after posting that occurred to me; they are more responsible.

Hey, hopefully you don't show up there right after some Priuschatter's been pressure washing their EGR cooler. :ROFLMAO:

Raytheeagle and Montgomery like this.
  11. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I happened to get some oil onto the various rubber hoses while fishing out a siphon hose out of the oil dipstick hole. Could the hoses be damaged from the oil? What's the best way to clean these? Thanks in advance.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don’t worry about that. Just wipe them off with a rag.

It’s looney tunes washing a motor with a car wash hose especially a Prius. Your driving water everywhere.

Reminds of the poster here who hosed out the dashboard of his Prius at the car wash lol. Hilarity ensued.

cyberpriusII likes this.