1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Liberals and Conservatives agree at least on this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Oct 11, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 12 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]524765[/snapback]</div>
    Again, put the shoe on the other foot and we have 90% of the leftist posters here on PC. ;) :rolleyes:

whats my signature say again? B)

2. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm only shocked that anyone is shocked by this. If a host had on a Grand Dragon of the KKK, would the host be shocked that he wanted to expel all non-whites from the country? Why does anyone expect different of Coulter?

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 12 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]524572[/snapback]</div>
    I heard the interview today, and they are talking past each other. He is clearly trying to get her to say something controversial, and he takes her religious comment to be political rather than religious. Her invitation for him to accompany her to church was serious, and reflects the generally held and generally believed concept among conservative and orthodox Christians that everyone should convert to Christianity.

I believe the use of the word "perfected" is based on the book of Hebrews, where the author talks about the two groups of believers, Jews and gentiles, and compares the work of high priests and others in performing sacrifices for remission of sins. Jesus was born among the author's people, he says, to show them that he could be "perfected", and it is incumbent on the believer to become "perfected" in Christ. Usually attributed to Paul, the book of Hebrews meshes nicely with Paul's other writings where the "Law" before the coming of Christ is seen as a hard taskmaster, with strict regulations that were impossible to keep (for Paul, anyway). Paul seems to paint two paths to salvation in some places, such as the first chapters of the book of Romans, where he says you can obey the law and reach salvation if you haven't heard of Jesus. That is the context of her "you have to obey" comments ... she is reaching out to a Jew with the message of Jesus because he has asked her about it.

The more common usage for this is the word "completed", as in "Completed" Jews.

Coulter is not an anti-semite, and her favorable mention of moderate former-Democrat Joe Lieberman, as far as I know the only observant Jew in the Senate, is proof of that. She is an idealogical person, who cannot see how other people view things, and my main beef with her is that she often gets into these kinds of controversies because she is stupid. She does conservatism and Christianity no favors with her inarticulate and clumsy references that do not inform and only inflame. It does sell books, though.

The idea that Jews should convert, and the concept of "Completed" or "perfected" Jews is highly offensive to Jews due to a long and sordid history of Christians who coerced or forced Jews to convert, with banishment or death as the punishments. That concept is foreign to modern Christians, because they are ignorant of the more unsavory history of their church, but it is a common understanding among Jews.

Coulter's language about these concepts should be abandoned in favor of modern language that is better at communicating that people should investigate Christianity to see if it resonates with them, and if it does, they will be welcomed into the community of Christians no matter who they are. If it does not, then it is not a concern of ours. That is Paul's message yet modern Christians, by using old, stilted English translations, make the message exclusionary rather than inclusive.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 12 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]524541[/snapback]</div>

I guess we can now substantiate that Ann Coulter is no biblical scholar or theologian.

The saddest thing about Ann Coulter is that if she were to die tomorrow, it would have little impact on the world. In a few days, her passing would be forgotten. She is that unimportant. After her books went out of print, her name recognition would diminish rapidly. In a decade her name would elicit "Ann who?".

Unless she slept with all of her professors and the bar she must have *some* brains to be a lawyer. It's a shame she never put all of that energy into something positive, something lasting. As it is, Al Gore will have a lasting legacy well after Ann Coulter won't even warrant a footnote.

Poor pathetic blonde.

5. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Viper:

any of more than 200 species of venomous snakes belonging to two groups: pit vipers (subfamily Crotalinae) and Old World vipers (subfamily Viperinae), which are considered separate families by some authorities. They eat small animals and hunt by striking and envenomating their prey. Vipers are characterized by a pair of long, hollow, venom-injecting fangs…

(from Encyclopedia Britannica online)

"Mannish" though she is (though she appears at least to have shaved her legs for her Time cover), Coulter is fueled by venom, not testosterone.

Wonder if those here so charitably disposed toward her would speak likewise if we were examining the thoughts of Ted Kennedy, or, even better, Hillary Clinton.

6. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think she owes Mary Cheney some child support money