1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can not put gas in. Recall item?!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius_deep, Apr 2, 2017.

1. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have read here where other people have had this same issue, you go to fill up and the 2016 prius will not let you fill it.

It happen to me for the first time today, tried to put in gas, but the car kept acting like it was full - 4 to 5 time.

Read the message inside the gas door, '~ 30 minute window, or push the button again~'.

Pushed the gas door release again and I was able to fill it up the total of 7.682 gals.

Might be a software problem - 30 minute timer - or a mechanical problem or both, but a problem will only get worse not better over time.

how many more of you have had this issue? and it's a safely issue, your trying to pump a flammable liquid and it keeping trying to come out.

this might be a Recall thing what do think?

2. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this your first fill? I seem to remember someone else had the same problem on PriusChat, but after the first fill I "think" it corrected itself. It could also have been a fault with the fuel pump.

To be honest, I didn't take a lot of notice, as our fill system is different here. Even so, my first fill I had to do very slowly, I've used the same pump since and it has filled at full speed every time since.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!(y)

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another question - I assume you've checked with your TOYOTA dealer.

That's always the best place to start - trying to escalate to a RECALL would be unlikely to get anywhere if you haven't had it checked by service technicians.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember the problem mentioned on here back along. I don't think it's a generic problem as long as you don't dawdle after opening the filler flap. Like you say, after 30 seconds the release button has to be pressed again because the time lock has kicked in. It's just one of those little Prius quirks you get used to after a while and it never happens again.

7. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no, from inside the gas door and 2016 owner's manual (USA) page 264 'finish refueling within 30 minutes. if more than 30 minutes passes, the internal valve closes. in this condition, fuel may overflow during the refueling process.'

minutes not seconds.

RCO likes this.
  9. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    maybe some hoses are naked, some have a ~bonnet~ etc, to keep vapors from escaping. If the prius was design in japan who knows what hose(s) designs are used there. Like I said here in the US there many designs, which may or may not hit a latch.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have also periodically had this problem. Two days ago it happenned again and pressing the fuel button under the dash again fixed it for this fill up.

JeffD

eric1234 and RCO like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We do not have the quick fill pumps you have. Toyota USA gives us 30 minutes to fill up not 30 seconds. :LOL: :D

RCO likes this.
  12. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like my observation may be correct. I've been careful to ensure that the large rubber "shroud" on the pump avoids the latch, and have not had the problem reoccur. I've also noticed that the large rubber "shroud" is located almost perfectly to contact the latch.

I'd love to conduct an experiment to trigger the latch while filling to confirm my observation, but am not keen on the mess (and/or possible damage to the evap system) that would result from such an experiment... ;-)