1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Prius prime charge at Tesla charging station?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Deepblue, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Deepblue

Deepblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new to this plug in cars. So please help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, tesla has proprietary evse, i'm not sure if they allow others to charge anyway, even if they have some L-2 chargers.

RCO likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you don't have a Tesla connector you can't plug into a supercharger or a destination charger.

RCO likes this.
  4. ivanbg

ivanbg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the problem is. Even if you have an adapter you need an account/card to unlock the charger.

TGrracie and GKL like this.
  6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    For those who are brand new to plug-ins there are web sites that show the location of charging stations in your area, just put in your zip code and zoom out to see more.

There are filters to narrow down your selection like to just show ones that have the type of plug your car needs to be able to plug into, for example, the Prius Prime uses the J-1772 plug.

When you click on an individual charging station it should give more details as to if it is free, if it is open 24/7 or just business hours, ect., for example when I clicked on one charging station roughly about 10 miles from me it had a comments section that said "Open to general public at no cost." and also "Open 24/7 - 24 hours per day, 7 days per week".

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I tried it for my area so I have an idea where some of the free ones are if I happen to be in that area and want to use it.

Note: We'll likely do 95% of our charging at home most of the time, but it's still good to know in advance where charging stations are just for the times when we might want to use one.

#6 GKL, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Raytheeagle and JimboPalmer like this.
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like GKL's post and agree with every thing in it.

I am going to add some technical data

J-1772 is the name of the protocol the Prius Prime uses. It is very common in the US and Europe.
    A level 1 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment provides about 12 Amps at 120 volts AC. Very frequently, this is the cable included with an EV as 120 volt 15 Amp receptacles are ubiquitous in North America. They take from 5 to 24 hours to rechaarge your EV
    A level 2 EVSE provides from 16 to 50 Amps of 240 volt AC. These may plug in to 240 outlets or be hard wired and are at least twice as fast as a Level 1 EVSE.

The Prius Prive is limited to 16 Amps so more powerful Level 2 EVSEs are not more useful to them, but still useable.

CHAdeMO is a 500 volt DC charging standard that can provide 125 Amps, so is much faster for pure electric cars. Prius Primes in Japan use this and indeed it seems most popular in Asia.

CCS is a competing DC quick charging standard more popular in Europe. Combined Charging System allows 200 Amps at 850 Volts DC.

Tesla does not use industry standards, although as you saw you can get adapters. Tesla uses at least 3 internal standards, but the two most interesting are Supercharger 300 Amps at 400 volts DC and Destination Charging, a Level 2 AC charger.

Since a Prius Prime never NEEDS to charge, we are saved most of this standards war. but when using the plug share map you only need worry about j-1772.

#8 JimboPalmer, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  9. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    motch6, SFO, TGrracie and 1 other person like this.
  10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Interesting, thanks for sharing, was it free as an incentive to eat at that restaurant or was there a fee and if so how much ?

SFO likes this.
  11. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Great info, thanks for sharing, I noticed on some web site maps of charging stations where some locations have a combined "CHAdeMO + j-1772" connection, does that mean the same plug will fit both or that they have a separate plug for each ?

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It almost has to be separate cables and plugs.
    [​IMG]
    I confess to not knowing anything about Mennekes or GB/T

RichardB, GKL and TGrracie like this.
  13. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    GB/T just means 'Chinese standard', kind of like IEC in the US--the 20234 is the actual standard number for the connector. Though outside China people just call the connector GB/T. It is used throughout China. The Teslas sold in China have this connector.

There's a new connector that China and Japan are working on together that is a superset of CHAdeMO and GB/T20234 that can go to 900kW.

GKL likes this.
  14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, it also seems to me they'd need to be separate, maybe it's just how it's listed that makes it confusing. Since I'm still waiting on delivery of our Prime I have yet to look at any charging station in person yet since none are within 10 miles of where we live.

Here is a partial screen shot of one of the online charger info that makes it confusing -

charger_combo.jpg

15. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So that station has CHAdeMO and "J1772 Combo" connectors, but apparently no plain J1772. I believe what they are referring to as J1772 Combo is the CCS1 connector in the above picture; it's an extension of J1772 that adds fast DC charging and is not compatible with the Prime.

That's OK, though, because when you see what Electrify America is going to charge you to plug in and receive a few miles of electric range, you won't want to.

GKL likes this.
  16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you go to the Amazon page and look at the end of the second bullet point you see that it says it is not compatible with the Superchargers.
    What this adapter is for, I think, it to convert the Tesla home charger or destination chargers (which is the same physical plug as a Supercharger) to an L2 connector. Home chargers and destination chargers just supply power (and the handshake to negotiate the amperage)...they do not validate your car ID with a credit card on file like the Superchargers do.

So why would you want this? You have a Tesla and a home charger and your second car is a Prius Prime -- they can both use the same charging cable. (Easier but maybe a bit slower would be to install a standard L2 charger and use the much smaller L2-to-Tesla adapter)

Mike

17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, glad I'm getting educated BEFORE my Prime gets delivered, we'd likely be doing most of our charging at home and only use free ones elsewhere if they are at a location we would stop at long enough to be worthwhile charging.

18. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I bought my Prime in 2017, it came with a ChargePoint card that had $100 in the account. I didn't get a chance to use it much, and it expired after I think 90 days. I don't know if they are still doing that, but if they are it would be a good way to try out some commercial charging stations to get a feel for the cost and convenience. (Now, ChargePoint partners with a few other providers, so there would be more stations available to you on that account.)

GKL likes this.
  19. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, but unfortunately after doing a search it seems that was only for 2017 according to this link -

Complimentary Charging from Toyota FAQs | ChargePoint

from one of the questions/answers at the above link:

"Note that complimentary charging is only available for the 2017 Prius Prime."

It would be interesting to see if there might be other free offers out there though.

20. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    be careful of free charging. I bought my first EV (Fiat 500e) in 2015 and got caught in the “free charging” mindset. There was a free charger about 5 miles away that I visited a couple of times. Turns out it wasn’t so free because I would spend $5 for food at the fast food joint ($10 if my wife was with me). Even more expensive when my wife discovered all the shopping she could do in the typical 2 hour charge.