1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Prius remote be programmed to also open Toyota Camry?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jfh3, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Does anyone know if the Prius remote can be used/programmed to open a 2003 Camry (in addition to controlling the Prius of course).

It sure would be nice to not have to carry both key FOBs.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Can Prius remote be programmed to also open Toyota Camry

[font=Comic Sans MS:0946269bd1]Sorry, I don't think so. The Prius fob uses a different code. You didn't say, do you have SKS?[/font:0946269bd1]

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

i disagree, there is a possibility it may work. Both use rolling codes, and probably use the same code algorithm, and probably even the same frequency.
    It wouldn't matter if the Prius was SKS or not, the Camry would not be able to take advantage of that. But it might be able to utilize the remote lock function.

If it would work, the Camry would have to be programmed to recognize the Prius fob as valid. Whether you can do that yourself or the dealer needs to do that would depend on how Camry fobs are currently added.

4. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have smart key.

Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask the service guys if they know the procedure.

Boy, would I earn brownie points with my wife if this works.

Will post what I find.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They may say no, even if it were possible. Only if it were tried would one really know. Just treat the fob as if it were a camry fob.

6. dschuetz

dschuetz New Member

I tried this yesterday with my Explorer (yes, my other car is a gas-guzzling SUV. so what. At least buying the Prius doubled our household CAFE average. :) ) Anyway, it didn't work. I'm guessing the key fob pushbuttons use different systems that are mutually incompatible. That said, I'd bet on another Toyota you'd have a chance.

A small nit: You're not programming the Prius fob to work with the Camry, you're programming the Camry to recognize the Prius fob. And for that, as long as they systems are compatible, should work just fine, I'd think. Though I suppose there might be some issues if the rolling codes get too far out of sync (you open the camry once for every 100 prius opens...though if you're using a smartkey fob, you'll probably never touch the remote buttons for the prius anyway).

I'm actually considering looking for the keyfob receiver part (not the SKS receiver, but the other system -- I'm guessing they're separate), and if it's cheap enough, it might be a fun reverse mod to get that recevier hacked into the explorer...

Anyway, to the original poster, I'd suggest doing whatever the standard procedure on the Camry is for registering a new keyfob, and see if it works.

You didn't say what year your Camry is, did you? Here's a quick Google Groups search result that might be what you're looking for:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.au...9b8c0d4fb5432b6

7. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dschuetz\";p=\"98884)</div>
    Thanks. I'll try this when my wife parks the Camry long enough for me to try it. It's a 2003 model, so it sounds like I may have a chance. I'd lose the remote trunk open function that's on the Camry remote, but I never use that anyway.

8. dschuetz

dschuetz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfh3\";p=\"98896)</div>
    Your wife ever leave the Camry unguarded? I'm really curious if you've tried this, what the results were....

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dschuetz\";p=\"104217)</div>
    Your wife ever leave the Camry unguarded? I'm really curious if you've tried this, what the results were....[/b][/quote]

Haven't tried it yet - just got back from vacation. Should get to it this week and I'll be sure to post the results here.