1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Remote a/c start key be used on any Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris2128, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2010 v with ATP . It does not have a solar roof. I read in the manual that the IV with solar roof comes with a remote start air conditioning button so you can start the ac before way before you sit in the car.
    Please don't confuse this with the solar ventilation, because it uses the solar roof to power a small fan. But in the manual it says that that actual ac can be turned on by the smart key and it uses the actual hybrid battery for power not the solar roof. I saw pics of the key fob, it has an extra small ac button on it (pic attached).
    Can I just buy that key and program it to use on my pri-v instead of my original key fob?

Attached Files:

2. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No answers still? Are you guys angry at me asking so many questions? And probably thinking "oh God! Why did he buy this car if he has so many questions!!"
    Well, I believe that pc forum is like a "university of Prius" and the more we discuss, the more we learn.
    I still await your comments on the topic.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd say with virtual certainty, no. For the same reason that you couldn't buy a fob with a trunk release and expect it to work - there has to be something there to receive it and turn on the AC while the car is off, and Toyota's not going to waste their money by putting it a single car that doesn't have remote AC.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The practical answer is no. But feel free to try it. As far as I know, there aren't any extra ECUs that control the remote A/C. There may be different firmware or some setup option.

You can get essentially the same effect by installing the factory remote start system. Just leave the A/C in whatever state you want it in when you turn the car off. The remote start will bring the car to a special version of Ready. The A/C will run, and the engine will run as necessary. The car will drop out of Ready after 10 minutes, or when you open the door. The remote start keyfob is the standard version.

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Instead of trying that, spend a bit more and get a remote start. Leave the a/c on when you turn off the car. After the remote start turns on the car/ICE, the a/c would come on. Same in the winter, leave the heat on for the remote start. Of course, this cost a few $$$.

At least that's how I used remote start with conventional car engines.

6. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm, I had the Clifford remote start with iPhone add-on on my 2010 Prius III and it worked fine. But I was always afraid it might have voided the warranty in some way with toyota!! When the guy had Installed it, be said the Prius has a power button , so it's a totally different story. He has to bypass the brake pedal/start and bypass the security system. But once I stepped inside the car and stepped on the brake, system would shut off.
    Genuine is genuine, If you know what I mean :)

7. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dear members,
    www.sigmaautomotive.com has this remote for sale as well. What I understood from the written description is that it works with the factory keyless/entry system. No addons needed. Here the excerpt from the website:

"Enjoy the luxury of having your vehicle ready and waiting with a comfortable interior temperature on cold winter mornings or hot summer afternoons, courtesy of the VIP Remote Engine Starter. This clever accessory allows you to start the engine - and to activate the air conditioner, heater, defroster and defogger functions - before entering your vehicle. It’s fully integrated into your factory security/keyless entry system, so there’s no need for an additional remote."

Let me know your thoughts folks.

8. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's the remote start that is also installed at the dealer.

amati5 likes this.
  9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That's just the OEM Toyota Remote Engine Start, also available here in the Priuschat shop: PriusChat Shop : 2010 Toyota Prius OEM Remote Engine Start [PT398-47091] - $349.00

Honestly, I don't know and I doubt anyone else knows for certain, if buying a fob which had the A/C button on it (used in Prius with the solar roof option) would work in a non solar equipped vehicle if paired with the car. I'd guess no, but I cannot say for sure since I know of no one who has in fact tried it. But even if it did, the fobs are not cheap and even then it'll only run the A/C for a few minutes whereas buying the kit above would let it run longer (thought he engine would run)...

10. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    bump.

I have aftermarket start, and each time I start it and let it run for 10 mins just to go outside and realize I didn't crank the heat before I got out last time... Needless to say, I've wondered the same. My 2010 V ATP has an aftermarket start like I said, but I'm looking for a replacement remote anyway and the AC version is similarly priced to the non, so I'm tempted, but 30 bucks is 30 bucks... Anyone heard anywhere else whether or not it will do it? Or more-so, what it will do? I bought a fob for my 07 VMax Silverado (I know, 12MPG is not spoken of in here..) and it was for a Tahoe, so though my truck doesn't have a trunk, the trunk button flashes the lights and tries to pop the trunk. The relay clicks and everything. Its handy as a remote headlight when needed w/o unlocking doors. Weird as it is, they can't make a million ECUs for each vehicle. It may have the output to trigger the AC, but isn't hooked up simply because its not the right trim level/package. Thoughts? Should I take 30 bucks in donations to try it? :D

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Viper system can be programmed to turn on defrost, AC or Heat using CAN bus commands. I have mine set to start the car, turn the auto headlights off and if I press AUX2 will turn on defrost. I can control autostart using my cell phone or the Viper FOB.