1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Rollback Damage Front End

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime Example, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Prime Example

Prime Example Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For the first time in as long as I can remember, my Prime suffered a front flat tire. It wasn't just partially flat, it was "flat flat". I mean, no air at all left in the tire. I called AAA who sent a roll back truck. In the confusion, I could not locate the eyehook in the car so the tow driver used an eyelet he had in his truck. It fit the threads, but might not have been as long as the one provided with the Prime. Anyway, the driver attached the cable to the tow hook and, while I was in the car, pulled it up onto the flatbed. The sound inside the car was awful; it creaked and groaned all the way up onto the bed. Then he tied the rear wheel down and drove to the tire dealer who replaced the two front tires with the Ecopia 422 plus, which are OEM and on the rear wheels. They said they balanced both tires. Now, it seems like when I get to 65 MPH, there is a vibration in the steering wheel and front end. I mean, it's not terrible, but its noticeable. I don't remember having that before the towing and replacement of the tires. Question: could pulling the car onto the flat bed with the wrong eyelet damaged the front end somehow. I mean the suspension parts? Or, could it just be the tires? Or, is this normal for the car since I really don't remember.

2. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why did you tow it to a tire dealer and not a Toyota dealer? As I understand it, the warranty on our new Prius Prime is bumper to bumper, including tires, as long as the damage is not from abuse.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd first suspect the tires and mounting. Not balanced right can cause vibrations.
    Is the replacement the same model?
    What is the wear difference between the replacement and original tires? The shop might be able to wear the new tire down to match the others.

Mendel Leisk and Mark57 like this.
  4. Prime Example

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Since the damage was due to a road hazard, I ran over a very narrow tree branch (no greater than 1" diameter), I don't believe it's covered by the tire warranty. That's for manufacturing defects. The tire dealer had the OEM tires in stock and matched Tire Rack pricing so I thought that would be better than dealer. Besides, the dealer closer to my house where the flat happened is awful. I did not buy there and would never take my car there for maintenance.

Ferrarilover likes this.
  5. Prime Example

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Tired teplaced were same as removed; Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus. The tires in rear have about 8000 mostly highway miles so I don't believe the tread is the issue.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oh, missed both fronts were replaced.
    I'd have the tire shop check the balance. If that seems to be good, then switch the front and rear tires to see if the vibration moves with them.

jerrymildred and Mark57 like this.
  7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The biggest change to your vehicle is the two new tires. I'd first suspect the balance. While they're checking have them check the balance on all 4 tires to eliminate variables. If you still feel the vibration one of the new tires might have an out of round issue.

8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just rotate the tires front to back and if the issue ceases it is the tire balance, a bent rim, etc. If it continues, contact your insurance company and document the issue to the tow company for future follow up.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never heard of a new car warranty covering tires. It's typically tire defect warranty only, and through the tire manufacturer, not Toyota.

How many miles on the car? Where both tires replaced due to significant tread wear?? What was the tire damage, ie: a puncture in the tread, or sidewall damage?

Assuming it was a simple nail in the the tread, I would have just plug-repaired. Nowadays it's not kosher, and a lot of tire places will not do it, but it's worked for me.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just noticed a tire/service place I pass every day does free tire repairs.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tires are excluded by the auto manufacturer, but have their own warranty. However, if the car suspension was damaged in the tow, that is an insurance claim, either against your own company or the tow company. Plugs are fine except for hair replacement (written as I pause to run my fingers through my full mane and glance approvingly into the many mirrors scattered about my study). Many shops offer free repair in hopes of selling a tire when they state plugs are no longer acceptable. These people are typically bald, by the way (not to be trusted).

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did a plug repair on one of our OEM Michelin Pilots, about 4 years back. A second on one of the Michelin X-Ice snow tires, about a year later. Both tires still in service, no need for "professional" intervention. Doesn't always work out so smoothly I'm sure, but...

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were the tires manufactured in Japan like the OEM ones? There are at least 3 different Ecopia 422 Plus. Warranty and tread patterns vary depending on where it is made. There may be other differences.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota does not cover the tires. They refer to the separate tire warranty.
    My Ecopia 422 Plus warranty specifically excludes OEM tires from the warranty. Basically they have no warranty, officially.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a real bug bear. I wish they'd go back to using Ecopia EP20. Those were readily available in North America, and as far as I know: invariable.

16. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suspect that either a tire lost a wheel weight or one of the tires is defective and will be replaced by the shop at no charge to you. Do get the car inspected for suspension damage if the tire balance turns out to be OK.

The new tires belong on the rear, but with 8k on the old tires, I'd probably get the new ones rotated to the rear before winter weather comes.
    "When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning."
    Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was the car in neutral when he hoisted it on? i can't understand all the creaks and groans, should roll quietly except for the thump overtime the flat spot goes under.(n)

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My initial bumper-to-bumper warranty on my current Prius did not cover a road hazard tire failure. Nor even a simple repairable flat the very first week on my first Subaru.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't understand putting new tire pairs on the rear. The logic is that the rears need deeper tread. Trouble I see: tires on rear wear tread slower than front, so they never will catch up with front tire tread, in fact the difference in tread depth can only get worse. (n)

William Redoubt likes this.
  20. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. Tire shop old wives tale. Goal is to sell more tires. Get those partially worn rears on the front where they will wear out faster.

Mendel Leisk likes this.