1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can smart key be added later ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auart, Aug 23, 2006.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

I just got my prius "06 model without the package with smart key...Anyone know if it can be added? and if so, is it a simple "buy a smart key" key purchase or more detailed?
    my 1st tANK of gas yielded 47.1 MPG !!

2. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Im kinda curious myself...what is the smart key and what does it look like? How does it interface with the car? Not like your standard car key im sure. And what is a FOB?

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it would cost soo much that it wouldnt' be worth it. There are sensors in every accesible door and handle. The door is a proximety. The handle is a static touch. Inside the cab there are more. there is the computer system that controls it too. I'm sure you can order any of this from toyota.. but iw ould cost thousands. It's better off just paying the price for everything, then upgrading from there. IMHO

4. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Aug 22 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]308057[/snapback]</div>

THANKS for the info, I kinda figured that was the case. Maybe on my next Prius in a few years!
    I plan to go 200,000 on this one first! I have a 4runnerthat I put 212000 on and it is like new (97), but now I am determined to learn to drive and get 60+ MPG !!

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 22 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]308056[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, the fob is the black thing that you stick in the "key" slot to start the car. For most car owners, the fob is what they use to lock and unlock their car doors remotely. BTW many people mistakenly capitalize it thinking it's an acronym, but the word "fob" is a noun and used to mean a small ornament hanging from a pocket watch chain (or kind of like a charm on a charm bracelet).

Smart Key on the Prius means that you never have to take the fob out of your pocket or purse and press a button to lock or unlock the car, or even to start it! That's why some people think it's one of the coolest features on this car! A car with Smart Key will have little black squares on the driver and passenger door handles and on the hatch. That's what you press to lock the car. There is a sensor on the inside of the front doors that will automatically unlock the doors when you touch it (on the hatch, you actually have to press the black grip area on the underside) to unlock the car instead of just touch it.

You can tell if you have a "Smart" fob or a "dumb" fob by the color of the logo on the back--black is dumb and silver is smart. You can still pull out the fob and lock and unlock the doors that way if you have Smart Key on your car, but I can't think of a reason why anyone would do that!!

6. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Aug 22 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]308051[/snapback]</div>
    If you really have a package 3 in your 2006, as noted, you already have the smart key. To my knowledge, it was included in all Priuses except for the base package.

7. katway

katway New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Aug 23 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]308051[/snapback]</div>
    SmartKey allows one to enter the vehicle and start the vehicle without ever removing the key from one's pocket, purse, etc. The vehicle detects that the coded key is in the appropriate vicinity. Very handy when when carrying groceries or anything else to the car, etc.

It's as if the car recognizes its owner It allows the owner to enter the car and start the vehicle without pulling out the key.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Aug 22 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]308071[/snapback]</div>
    They also make a Smart Key wristwatch that'll do the same thing. It costs about $400, and I don't know if it works with the Prius.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, you can have a remote-free entry but you won't have the keyless start you get with SKS.

You can get these readers and keycards online. Install the reader/circuit board inside the door and when it senses your keycard, it'll unlock the doors. Someone retrofitted their Classic Prius with this system.