1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can somebody please complete the thought on these codes????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Jul 6, 2022.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This problem has been brought up twice before on this forum, but was always inexplicably dropped before anyone answered it.

After a brief combo meter outage, I got a bunch of dashboard lights; the yellow brake (!) light, ABS light, VSC light, and check engine icon light.

I hooked into the ODB port using both Torque Lite and Prius Doctor and got this;

Trouble Code
    C0300 C0300

Permanent DTC
    C3F0A P117F P0A11 C3F0A

Pending DTC
    C0700 C0700

off of Prius Doctor,

and nothing comes off the Torque Lite.

I'm finding it hard to run down those codes as they don't seen to show up anywhere in searches, at least not for Toyota vehicles, and it doesn't help that I can never tell whether those are letter O's, or Zeros, in the codes, as they all look alike in the displays.

The Problem History -
    After a brief combo meter outage, I was driving my Gen 2 Prius the other day, and noticed that when I first started up and left the driveaway, the main HV battery was draining as driving the car dispite the ICE running as usual. This would be normal for me as the car usually does the 1st few blocks on the electric motor while the gas engine supplies the battery and maintains a steady level of 6 blue bars on the SOC meter.

But today, the meter drained all the way down until just two purple bars before slowly recovering over the next few miles after the gasoline engine actually started doing the pulling. The meter eventually did recover, but I noticed that throughout the entire trip, I only got charging amps from the motor as I was driving, usually between single digits and about 17-18 amps, and never seemed to get any of those high amperage pushes from regenerative braking, which can be up to about 80-90 amps at times when applying the brakes off a highway exit or downhill.

I noticed that prior to this incident, for the past few months, it always seemed that my HV battery was always being overcharged by the system while driving steady on the roadway, constantly trying to pump even more in when the SOC meter was already displaying 7 green bars....Again, it usually balances out at 6 blue.

Meanwhile, my 12V batt was seeming to run a bit low, between 11 and 11.9 volts with the car off. It is new, less than 6 months old. My charging voltage, with the car running is usually 14 volts, although I HAVE seen it to breifly be in the 13.5 volt range.

As a result of all this, I'd been checking the OBD port with both Torque Lite and with Dr. Prius for the past few months, but got no codes thrown until only a few days ago.

This has never happened to me before - my car has always been rock steady at between 4 and 6 blue bars with only occasional and rare forays up into the green zone and never down into the pink.

In doing searches, I've gotten conflicting meanings for the C0300 code and the others, so I really don't know what I'm looking for here. One source suggested code C0300 is a rear wheel speed sensor issue, another said misfire.

Even with all of this, the car drives just fine and works totally normal. You would never suspect anything is wrong with it.

I currently have the car up on jackstands and have checked the rear wheel speed sensors with the following results;

- Ohm test on both the left and right rear hub sensors = 1.27 KOhm apiece.
    - line in voltage of the harnesses = 4.63 VDC for both sides (not sure if that's good or bad, heard it's supposed TB either 12V or 5V)
    - and when I hook the voltmeter up for AC voltage on the sensors, I get a voltage output of .1 to.3 VAC as I spin the rear tires by hand.

So, is ABS sensors right track, wrong track?....

Can anybody follow through on what that above situation means with the codes?
    Thanks guys,

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is probably because they are not valid codes. There must be something wrong with your Dr. Prius setup
    The first character is always either P, C, B, or U. The next character is always numeric and can only be 0,1,2, or 3. The next three characters are always numeric, hexadecimal to be precise, so they could be 0-9, and A-F. So while those codes you posted meet those requirements, they are nevertheless invalid codes for a Gen 2 Prius.

This post has more detail about DTCs in general, so no need to repeat it here.