1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone be a bro and take the black plastic rear storage area dimensions under the rear deck?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SRQ, Mar 8, 2022.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a forum search and couldn't find measurements; I'm out of the country and would do it myself. I'm shopping for a Rotopax fuel storage container and want to fit it under the rear cargo deck's plastic tray thing. Thanks!

Found it in another forum:

5.25" depth
    33.5" width
    21.5" length

Key words: boot space, trunk space, subfloor space, hidden compartment

#1 SRQ, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  2. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also if anyone has any good ideas on an oil contailer that can fit under there without leaking, that would be awesome as well! My last quart of oil ended up leaking everywhere and making a mess. I'm sure that a sturdier plastic would have worked better.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the problem with retail oil bottles is that they are made to be disposable, so there are problems re-sealing them after first use.

Try a camping fuel bottle. They're commonly used as reserve fuel for motorcycles and camping stoves. The point is that they are made to be re-usable and the seals won't be broken down by petroleum.

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn’t know of the Rotopax fuel storage containers before. They look like quality items.
    If I were suicidal I’d try what your suggesting. It is an interesting idea except in traffic. Reminds me of the Ford Pinto gas tank problems from decades ago. Maybe for travel through the desert it’d be a great idea though.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think the OP just wants to carry motor oil in the cabin. While not entirely risk-free, it's got to be a heck of a lot safer than carrying gasoline.

The point of using fuel containers is that they are a lot less likely to have chemical incompatibility/degradation with exposure to oil.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many have stored an upright quart or two in the small cubby near the left tail light, opposite the 12v battery.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be skeptical that any gas container permanently stored inside of the vehicle is going to behave. Suspect it's just a matter of time before you get in your car and the interior smells like toxic gas fumes. But, perhaps you could clear out spare tire and storage space above it and weld up an auxiliary tank that is connected to existing fuel delivery system?

9. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My other vehicle is a '21 Jeep Wrangler and the Rotopax is a pretty standard item; I was making sure that I could buy something that both vehicles could share.

The idea is to have the Rotopax under the deck for when I need it (empty, of course). It's also to be filled up when I go camping so there will be a time when it's in the vehicle, but I'll be emptying it into the gas tank as soon as there is space available in the fuel tank.

Awesome; this is exactly what I'm looking for. Added bonus of being used with the Jeep!

#9 SRQ, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Want to keep the vapors away from the 12v battery area, just in case something sparks a connection

11. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup; after filling the tank I"ll be keeping it open outside of the vehicle for the vapors to dissipate before returning it to its storage place.