1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone help me? Prius suddenly lose power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gwywnc, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Gwywnc

Gwywnc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I live in the mountains of western North Carolina. And I was going up the steep mountain earlier today and I had the gas pedal all the way to the floor and suddenly the power kind of cut out a little bit. Then it regained power, then it cut out a little bit didn’t regain power then it cut out a little bit and I pulled over and I immediately turn the car off and sit there for a second. Then I turned it back on, and it ran really rough and there was a red car in the left hand display with an! In it. and also for a second the display said problem. so I was able to start the car and put it in drive, but it still surged like that. Like power less power, power less power until I had to finally pull over, and then all of the dash lights were on and it would not go into drive or reverse. I have no clue what is wrong with this. I thought that it might be the 12 V battery, but when I had it towed home, I’ll put my battery charger and completely charge. The battery up in the car still will not move.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You don't say what your model but you're in the generation too for them so I'm going to guess around 2007 in the multifunction display the little car on the far left of that display is red now and not green like normal do you also have maybe the red triangle and some amber lights on the dash by chance just generally speaking it sounds like you're inverter pump may have gone out that keeps your device that charges your battery cool if that starts to get hot it will cut back power to the electric motors and it won't charge the battery as well and in turn make the car run very poorly.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We are in Orange county NC 27243

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You probably need a new hybrid battery, and/or engine work.
    Any dash trouble lights?

how many miles on her?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Failed hybrid battery. When that happens you get the red triangle of death and the little red car icon in the upper left corner of the mfd and the car goes into limp mode which basicly means the hybrid battery is disconnected and then you only have the little go kart engine.

Failed hybrid battery is probably the most posted thread inthe g2 forum.

Not necessary to ask any questions about it as they have been asked and answered thousands of times on this site. Start reading.

use the search forum link up top and search

hybrid battery

6. DC_2004_Prius

DC_2004_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    (to the OP or others who come across this post in case that poster has moved on or solved their problem)

I got "failed hybrid battery" - after not driving car during onset of pandemic - and with some basic careful DIY work got my prius/hybrid battery back up and running for $50 in used good condition battery modules.

You can figure it out, carefully disconnect and then take out the battery, open it up and swap out the bad modules - likely just one or two , put it all back together - and get your hybrid battery up and healthy and running - and it's totally doable. search for all the threads - if you have basic careful DIY skills you can do it. I didn't go through whole thing of getting hobby chargers and doing load cycling on modules to balance, etc. - but if you can find a reputable source of 'good' modules you can use Dr. Prius app to find the bad modules, and doing lot's of reading/research - take out your battery, open it up, carefully make it safe, and swap out the bad modules/cells for good and you'll be back up and running for up to several years.

Get Dr. Prius App - and figure out which modules need replacing. Study up on Priuschat threads on hybrid battery repair, replacement, reconditioning, module swapping,etc.

This is a great link/source to start for how to pull and take apart your hybrid battery to repair it. (safety!) Pay close attention to safety precautions when disconnecting/pulling the battery and when it's opened up as you go to disconnect all the modules from eachother (at this point it is a large dangerous battery- so be very careful with your tools/surroundings - care not to short the battery to something/touch + to - or ground. once the bus bar is removed it is a series of small batteries and not dangerous. When it is all connected in series it is dangerous if you touch/bridge + to - at certain spots.

#6 DC_2004_Prius, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At ten minutes in, I'm not a fan of using an untaped screwdriver that cavalierly to pop the busbar protectors off, nor of using an untaped socket for taking the first nuts off.

A person planning to work that way might think about wearing arc flash PPE.

[​IMG]

DC_2004_Prius likes this.