1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone identify this cord?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by RedQueen, Jul 5, 2018.

1. RedQueen

RedQueen New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was checking the manufacturing date on my 12v battery and saw this cord hanging there. The car is a 2012 PIP. 20180705_075017.jpg 20180705_075029.jpg Can someone tell me what it is and if it should be attached somewhere? I bought this car used so not sure if it was originally attached and has worked loose over the years. The 12v is the original so I doubt it has ever been removed. I did however find garbage down in the space that the battery sits in, old corroded AA Energizers and a M&M's wrapper.

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Totally a guess, but it appears to be where one might connect a trailer lighting harness for a towing package.

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's your 12V battery temperature sensor. Its attached to the black I think 150A fuse on the positive terminal of the battery. Just make the white portion of the temperature sensor hook a part of a section of the small fuselage connected to the battery positive.

bisco, Raytheeagle and Pluggo like this.
  4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, it's a temperature sensor. BTW, the battery can be replaced without losing any settings or data if the car is plugged in during the swap. You just want to be careful to hang onto the the positive cable and not allow the end to swing over and touch any part of the car during the few seconds while it's disconnected.

I shouldn't have to add this part, but for that one person I will: never touch any other metal with your wrench while working with the positive battery terminal. :)