1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Someone Review this Deal???

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by arek, Dec 14, 2012.

1. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Trying to buy a PiP Advanced from Back East. Just got the sales contract and it looks funny(trickey) to me. Although the bottom line (i.e. Amount Financed Line 5) is correct at 35940.00 it's how they got their that makes me nervous. The cash price (line 1) you see attached below at 41,822.96 includes my CA state taxes. Is that right? I'm used to seeing deals list the cash price w/o taxes and then listing the TTL down below on 4F,G,H, & I.!

THEN, they have a 'dealer worksheet' with a base price/MSRP of $40,730 with a better (not best) worksheet breakdown.

PLEASE HELP! I'm thinking if I show the contract to CA DMV, they are going to base the tax on 41,822.96 which is wrong because that price INCLUDES my CA Sales Tax.
    Also, there is no mention of the Retail Installment Contract that they will pay the taxes or that the price includes the taxes. Is that second worksheet enforceable to make them pay the taxes?

What if they say, hey buddy, your sales contract shows price of car 41822.96, your putting 6,837.96 down (thats 5,000 TFI and my 1837.96) and taxes are your problem!

PLEASE HELP!!

Attached Files:

2. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why not inform the dealer that you will register/pay the taxes yourself.
    have them remove that portion from the purchase agreement.

3. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm thinking that way I can finance the 3500 in taxes over 60 months at 0.0%

4. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ask them to change LOCAL tax to include your Zip Code, so you can let CA dmv know that you paid taxes.
    You can contact another dealer, and have them write purchase agreement, compare it.
    Would also check their dealer review on trusted sites.

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything looks right. The sales contract (the one with Russel Automotive) is correct where it breaks everything down. That is the one you would use to register the PIP in CA. The Toyota Financial Services is for their financing. It looks right as you are financing $35,940...price of car with taxes and fees minus down and rebate.

I bought mine out west and my dealership found it too much trouble for them to register it for me. They ended up refunding me the TT&L and I payed them when I registered it myself. You might want leave the TT&L off and you pay for them yourself. But, you will not be able to roll it in with the car to finance.

6. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With them including the TT&L in the finance contract I was able to roll that in. They refunded me the TT&L and I paid them myself. But, I wasn't out anything since it was already rolled into my finance contract.

7. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My dealer feels the same about registering a car to out of state. So we are using 'Automotive Titling Corporation' for a service fee of about $245 to handle all the titling.

8. JMT

JMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought mine from them as well and the paperwork is the same. I think the TFS's retail installment contract is just for financing purposes. You can show the sales contract to the DMV.

It's been 2 weeks since I bought mine and still do not have the CA registration yet (at least I have a temp tag until 2/1/13 though). My salesperson (Brad) says that it might take 4-6 weeks for the CA reg to complete. I hope its much sooner so I can apply for the CA rebate and carpool sticker.

lensovet likes this.
  9. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think they have to charge you for the sales tax. Some dealers will turn around immediately and cut you a check made out to you and your home state DMV for the amount they collect at the point of sale. My dealer would not cut me a check until I gave them proof that I registered the car and paid the local sales tax--THEN they finally cut me a check. The point is that the sales tax does not belong to the dealer. They are supposed to collect it and make sure it is used in the home state. Frankly they way mind was handled is poor. I had to front the sales tax twice then I got a refund for one of the checks. Kind of Mickey Mouse if you ask me.

lensovet likes this.
  10. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same dealer huh? Would love to know your experience! How did you ship it back? How much did it cost.

Did the use this outside service with you? Seems expensive. Did you have to do any DMV paperwork?

lensovet likes this.
  11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to get the plates to apply for the CVRP rebate, FYI.