1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone tell me the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prius_1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. prius_1

prius_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Threre are several Gen 1 Prius cars for sale in my area right now with about 60k miles on them. They are both a few thousand less than buying a similar gen 2. Can someone tell me the difference between the two versions of the Prius? And which one has the roomiest back seat? I will need to fit 3 in the back sometimes but not too often.

Thanks,

Jessica.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gen I is smaller with no hatch-back. It uses an earlier version of the hybrid system. Older Gen I cars may be getting near the end of life for the HV battery, so it's good to be careful. Other than that, I will let the Gen I owners fill you in on the details.

Tom

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 had a less sophisticated braking system, applying regen and friction brakes in parallel, and regen didn't do much below 20mph. Gen 2 separates the friction brakes entirely from the pedal (except in a power-failure situation) and only uses them in emergencies, for faster reaction, and where more braking is required than regen can give. It switches over to complete friction braking when the car starts to simulate creep, below 7mph. It can extract a lot more of the energy from braking.

The Gen 2 car allows the engine to rev slightly higher, for a little more peak power, and has a larger electric motor and generator, for greater torque. The battery is slightly smaller and lighter, and lower voltage, for lower capacity. However, the Prius doesn't really need a lot of battery capacity for most driving - it's normally used as a relatively small buffer. The extra power and torque give it better acceleration.

The cars differ quite a bit in their cold-start emissions control. The Gen 1 has a special chamber in the catalyst, controlled by a valve (that can rust up), which captures high levels of unburnt fuel at startup and burns them off once the car's warmed up. Gen 2 speeds warmup by keeping a thermos of hot coolant which is pumped back into the cold engine (North America Prius only). (The 2010 car will run coolant down to the exhaust, beyond the catalytic converter, to extract waste heat from the exhaust and use that to warm up the engine quicker.)

EPA estimates are 42 City, 41 Highway, 41 Combined for the Gen 1 'Classic' Prius, and 48 City, 45 Highway, 46 Combined for the Gen 2 'Iconic' Prius, using the new testing scheme. The old scheme had:

Gen 1: 52 City, 45 Highway, 48 Combined
    Gen 2: 60 City, 51 Highway, 55 Combined

The Gen 1 was a smaller car all-round.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Gen 1 uses a MG2 which is more like a DC Brushless motor, and does not generate as much dynamicly sourced magnetic field. So, it had to have bigger magnets. The battery has higher resistance interconnects. The combination of the two means the Gen 1 should be torquier off the line, but die much more quickly in accelleration. Torquier off the line may only be to a few mph, due to the other issues. I am guestimating here based on the motor write up Argonne did. The higher heat from the battery interconnects results in the batteries going bad about 1 to 2 % before 125 K miles.

The Gen 2 Prius has a motor which generates much more magnetic field during rotation of the motor (induced field). You can feel a surge or accelleration due to this from 15 to 30 mph. But its proportionately a little slower off the line as the fixed field from the smaller permanent magnets is weaker.

The Gen 1 uses sleeve bearings in the transmission planetary gearing. This causes more wear and a greater chance of transmission failure and the need to replace the transmission fluid often. The Gen 2 uses anti-friction (needle) bearings in the planetary gearing.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What state are you in? If you're in California or a CARB state, then you should stick w/the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen (MY 04-09) have a 10 year/150K mile warranty on the HV battery in CARB states.

If you're one in a CARB state, to be on the safe side, I'd make sure the car was bought in a CARB state and only registered there.

See Toyota Extended Warranty Info under "As taken from the 2004 Toyota Prius Owner's Warranty..."