1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Someone Tell What This Is?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Aaron, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Prius

It's located under the coolant reservoir. The protrusion that is covered in black crud is spring-loaded. I pressed it down and it pops back up easily.

What is this and what is the black stuff? Is it overflow of some type of fluid? Anything to worry about?

[​IMG]

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I think that is some sort of transaxle vent. Hard to see under there but I think it is located on the upper transaxle or MG 1/2 housing. Just went and looked at mine and there is a little bit of oil, I assume to be W/S type fluid, around the exterior of the cap. Mine isn't that dirty though. Still, probably not an indication of a problem somewhere.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yea... I read about that on some transmission fluid changing threads... It's designed to relieve pressure build up due to heat. I wonder if they've ever failed? I wonder how you remove them and test them to see if they're working correctly, or at least what the symptoms are if they aren't working correctly?

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My theory, as I am not a licensed mechanic, is that it is designed to vent under positive conditions and I suspect NOT under negative conditions. In that regard, you should probably just keep the area clean and not worry about it. But then I think, when you pressed down the cap, of course testing the return spring tension, you may have pressed a bunch of gunk into the seal area, and over time it will creep into the seal and lead to compromise. It does look like there is a 10 or 12mm nut on the base of it, so careful removal from the housing would be possible. Then it could be properly cleaned and replaced (torque ?) and return your peace of mind.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Op how many miles on car? Have you ever had the trans fluid replaced? If not I would get on that.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Currently 78K. I replaced the trans fluid at 60K.

I wonder if climbing up and down mountains in Great Smoky Mountains National Park could have caused this? That was the most stress my Prius ever experienced. Total battery drain and high RPM.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Highway or mountainous driving isn't the issue, it's hot weather and driving your car the way a cab driver in a hurry would drive in the city that stresses/heats up a transmission. But in this case as far as I know what you're seeing with your tranny is entirely normal.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I would say steep mountain driving *is* a factor in my experience. That can get your transaxle temps up to 65C or more in hot weather. MG2 is working hard on those hills, both up and down. You want to use B mode there.

When I opened up my transaxle for refilling, a suction sound was heard as the plug loosened. The above vent is doing its job by releasing under high temps.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The outside temp was 102 F and I had five people in the car when I was climbing those mountains.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... I see... That's a lot to ask from a little Prius!

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Where is it exactly? Do I look for it above the hood or under the car? When I opened the transaxle fill plug I did not hear any vacuum suction hiss. Maybe because I tried to open and drain the transaxle while it was still warm? I hope I don't have a stuck/leaky vent - moisture could get in and ruin the innards!

12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not likely, I would say. It's on top of the transaxle, probably not possible to see with the inverter in place?

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The photo at the top of this thread shows the location...