1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone with a 2010 with three door SKS try something for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BrettS, Feb 3, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is coming off of the discussion in this thread about adding 3 door SKS to a car that only came with one door SKS... http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ding-smartkey-door-handle-rear-pass-side.html However, I didn't want to post this in that thread, because I imagine that most people with 3 door SKS already aren't reading that thread:)

In any case, as suggested above, I'm trying to figure out how the SKS system operates and if (or how) those of us with 1 door SKS can add the other two doors.

Now, question is this... does the SKS system need to detect the key with the antenna near the door you're trying to open, or will it open any door once it detects a key anywhere near the car.

So, after all that, if someone would be kind enough to try the following and let me know, I'd definitely appriciate it...

Take your key out of your pocket and put it near the driver's door handle (which is where the driver's side antenna is). Then, leaving the key there try to use the SKS on the rear hatch and the passenger side door... with the key on the drivers side and the car locked, see if you can open the passenger door and the rear hatch. Also see if you can lock them using the button in the hatch and the sensor on the passenger door.

You may need to move your key away from the car and back again between unlocking and locking attempts and when you switch from the passenger door to the rear hatch as I believe that it won't let you lock the doors, then immediately unlock them unless the key goes away for a little while first.

Thanks much,
    Brett

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't tried it with the 2010, but with the Gen II Prius you have to be near the door in question. I can't imagine Toyota would change this, as it is a security issue. Otherwise someone could enter through the passenger door as you approach the driver's side.

Tom

3. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :: sigh:: yeah, I kind of figured that was the case and it certainly makes sense, but it would make it easier for me if it didn't work that way;)

If anyone with a 2010 could still try it to verify, though, I'd appriciate it.

Thanks,
    Brett

4. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll give it a try. I'm pretty sure that when I have my key and I haven't yet touched the door yet... my GF can't open the passenger side door or activate the "unlock" by touching the handle.

5. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Test done.

I've found that the antenna and system are able to detect what side the key fob is on and only allow the door on that side to be opened. If you were able to extend only the touch function to the rear doors, that would be enough.

I hung my key chain on the door handles to test functionality.

Key hanging from...

Drivers side front door: I am able to only open the drivers door by touching the handle. I am not able to open the passenger door or hatch by touch.

Passenger side front door: I am able to only open the passengers door by touching the handle. I am not able to open the driver door or hatch by touch.

Drivers side rear door: I am able to only open the drivers door by touching the handle. I am not able to open the passenger door or hatch by touch.

Passenger side rear door: I am able to only open the passengers door by touching the handle. I am not able to open the driver door or hatch by touch.

Rear Hatch: I am able to only open the rear hatch by touching the opening mechanism. I am not able to open the drivers or passenger door by touch.

1 person likes this.
  6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks much for doing the test... unfortunately it's not what I really wanted to hear, but such is life;)

Honestly, right now that's pretty much the least of my concerns, since I don't have front passenger side or more importantly (to me, at least) rear hatch SKS. However, one of the things we're considering in the other thread is to try to get a passenger door SKS handle and just wire it in in parallel with the driver's door handle. I have no idea how the computer will handle two touch sensors where it's supposed to see one, or two antennas where it's only supposed to see one, but I think there's at least a small chance that it will work.

That said, if this does work, then it should also work for you to be able to get rear door SKS by changing out the rear handles for SKS enabled handles and tying the wiring in with the front door handles... and it sounds like in your case you might not even have to deal with the antenna, so it might even be more likely to work for you. If it does work then the only hard part would be running the extra wires from the inside the rear doors up to the front of the car.

Since I only have one SKS enabled door handle I wasn't able to see what would happen if we connected more than one handle to the same ECU inputs. However, since you already have two SKS enabled handles, if you're feeling particularly adventurous and want to try to connect two handles to the same ECU input I'd be happy to help walk you through removing the door trim and showing you which wires would need to be connected where... Assuming you're reasonably comfortable removing trim and connecting wires I imagine the whole test could be done in an hour or two. Let me know if you're interested and I'll type up a few more details to see if it's something you think you could handle... your results would definitely be of interest to me as well in my project.

Thanks,
    Brett