1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can starting in EV mode be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Feb 17, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow!..awesome discussion!.. thanks for all the info..... my faith in Toyota's wisdom is restored once again!
    I'm still gonna take it easy coming out of EV mode....I still feel its a good idea to not be "rude" to my car! :lol: ... even if it can take it.

2. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Another consideration should be the temperature. If you are going out in 70 degree weather in Florida that will be different than 20 degree weather in Chicago, or -30 degree weather in Alaska. But I think the EV won't work under a certain temperature anyway.

But, at least with regular engines, almost all wear occurs when the engine is colder than operating temperature. And the temperature to wear increase is dramatic as the temperature decreases. So at least in the Prius, by having the warm thermos too for the engine will reduce any possible wear to a minimum.

Driving this way is undoubtedly an unusual situation, which the Prius can probably withstand for the most part, but I too think if it can be avoided that is probably better.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have not experienced any temperature limitations with EV operation. yesterday it was 25ºF and i moved my car out of my parking space to my neighbors (she had gone to work) so it could catch the morning sun and help clear the glass before i went to work.

but i will agree, although it doesnt hurt your Prius, i prefer to run EV at the end of the day and charge and warmup in the morning as others have mentioned.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

The only reasons I can see for using EV on morning start up would be:

a. to move car a short distance and not start the engine.
    b. to move a bit to a point where you can coast a good distance and then start up delayed to where you really need the engine and it can warm up faster.

If in case b I would just push EV again while coasting so engine would be on and ready when I needed power. No need to wait for computer to force engine start.

Generally seems better to run on EV at the end of a run at night.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Quick question for the smart guys (and gals!) on this thread:

Can EV mode only be engaged when the vehicle is stopped? I've read that somewhere, and haven't tested it yet. But it can be disengaged at any time/speed. Right?

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it can be engaged when moving

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Dave. I only use mine from a stop (to keep the ICE from ever firing) so wasn't sure. And I DO know I've read that somewhere in my many pre-purchase web travels.

I'll finally pass the 10 mile mark on my 2006 this weekend. I'll likely learn a lot when I actually drive the thing. ;)

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If the engine is totally cold, you can only engage it when you first startup the car... hit power, hit your switch.... don't wait for full startup.... this way the ICE will never come on.

If you let it come on, and then try it, It will prompt you that It cannot engage EV right now above the MFD.

But in answer to your question, it looks like Dave has already said yes, but only once the ICE is warmed up.... in other words if you engaged it and sat around for a while and gave the ICE long enough to cool down the "then" tried to engage it.. it may give you the error that says it can't do it right now.

Also once its engaged you can pull the batts down to two bars... but if you manually disengage it on your own and you batts are down to say 4 bars... then you try to re-engage, it will give you the error too.... "I think its 4 bars?"

I doesn't like to initiate engagement if the batts are too low to start with.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll agree that you won't hurt the engine with EV usage, because it's all computer-protected. I do think that accelerating under EV is inefficient.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to the forum MM!....

I would almost think that as far as temp considerations alone, that using EV in the morning could be better! As Frank mentioned... if when you first hit power the pump engages and pumps all the "hot coolant" stored from last time the ICE was on "Internal Combustion Engine", then you use EV for a few minutes, the hot fluid has plenty of time to conduct and get the engine nice and warm before it actually has to come on?

Normally the ICE is running seconds after the coolant is getting pumped in. I wouldn't be surprised if it all is not even in yet by the time the ICE comes on!

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

We you can test it now Dave!.... :lol:

Daniel, we have about 23 degree with a 30mph wind.... Dave may be even colder... and thats too stinkin cold for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness it rarely gets colder than that here!

You say its not cold.... that not what my legs say!

12. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Jumping back to the "graceful" wakeup...

As soon as you hear the triple beeps indicating EV is being disengaged, you can usually get a smooth wakeup if you just ease off the gas a bit as if you were gliding. Works like a champ for me.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    was cold enough that i actually turned the heat on in my house (its still on). something i rarely do.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To quote my own quote:

I went to a pc meeting today and we installed the EV switch in an 05. The 05 does not appear to give you the notice at the top of the MFD screen saying it cannot engage at certain times.

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no, you get a 3-beep warning which basically means the car refuses to accept the EV command. took me a while to figure out all the beep patterns in the car.

does the 06 have a warning on the MFD?

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The warning is visual.. it shows at the top of the MFD screen saying it cannot go into EV right now....
    We do get a 3 beep when it goes out of ev mode however.

17. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

How cool is that! Wish I had that feature. I forget the exact stages but I seem to recall that there is another window (stage IIIa) where EV mode is available prior to full hybrid mode. I sometimes find this w/ luck (to turn off the ICE and tool around the line for coffee for example).

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ooh, a visual warning. totally cool. B)

19. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

It's a pop-down that says "can not engage EV mode at this time" or something like that. It slides down for a couple of seconds and slides back up.

I also noticed something else today. The 06 doesn't have the snowflake (cold outside) indicator, but my car gave me a pop-down today that said something about it being 37 degrees outside. I don't remember exactly when it occurred, but it was definately there. Just thought I'd pass that on.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the 05 has that too. little icon shows up for a couple seconds, then disappears.

i could live without the snowflake on the dash though...