1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can starting in EV mode be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Feb 17, 2006.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Japan and Euro models don't have thermos.

Ken@Japan

2. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

But now ken1784 in Japan pointed out that there is no thermos where they have the factory EV switch. So that would indicate that the computer wouldn't complain, unless the software for the U.S. version has been modified to monitor the thermos.

So, does that indicate that such a thermos delay switch could be installed in the U.S. Prius?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the temp of the thermos is monitored on the NA Prius and it even cycles the pump after about 4 hours just to test the temp. So it's monitored. Like I said any delay in the coolant pump at start up and the computer will see it as a pump failure, and set a code.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Daniel's recommendations. And if you are accellerating hard enough through 34 MPH that the ICE start is somewhat rough, you should have kicked out of EV earlier. You are draining the battery for no reason. Use it for flats when you are already up to speed, downhills, starting in parking lots when you know you are going to sit at a signal for several minutes, etc.

Now, for those of you who think 25F is cold enough for full EV understanding, I'm here to enlighten you :) Though I haven't done specific testing, the car will NOT enter EV mode from an overnight start when it is cold out. For sure 15F is too cold. Even when you have been driving for some time, the engine will not heat up enough to go into EV. I ran into that a week ago, I think it was about 10F. Drove home from work (~20 min), stopped at the store for 5 minutes. Car wouldn't go into EV when I started it (the "I'll be sitting at a red light anyway scenario"). I don't know about the rest of you, but it didn't take long for me to get used to no idle at stops and I get seriously annoyed when it doesn't shut down because it is too cold out!

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks Ken... those answers are very enlightening..... They make sense that Toyota would be responding to governmental regulations rather than playing head games.