1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Existing Prius C Three Navigations Touchscreen show a Backup Camera Input?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by meehow09, Mar 15, 2012.

1. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to have a backup camera installed into my Prius C 3, but I do not want it installed into the rearview mirror with a small picture that appears on it when you back up.

Does anyone know if the Prius C 3 touchscreen has an input for a backup camera?

I know that in Japan, the Prius C's have an option for a backup camera.

2. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That is what I want to do. I hope we can do that, or toyota has some OEM part for that.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It might. You can probably find out by looking at the parts diagram at the dealer computer.

The other option is to get the Prius c II and have a nice in-dash Pioneer receiver with GPS, HD radio, DVD player, backup camera, etc. installed. It will certainly way-outperform the Toyota OEM GPS receiver and will probably be cheaper too.

4. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Add me to the list of people that would like to do this! I am thinking since the regular Prius with the 6.1 has the backup camera, it is a good probability the Prius C III unit would be the same....and have the capability built in....at least I would hope so...

-M

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Note that, even if this was a possibility, the OEM camera costs $600 plus tax at the minimum (local dealers will usually charge you a lot more), not including the wiring and labor:

Prius OEM camera

6. manamania

manamania New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Count me in. Message me if you guys got any news or good deals. Thanks.

7. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  8. manamania

manamania New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What about Prius C3? It said that the camera is made for 2004-09 models.

9. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

not sure. I just google it and many of them came out and I just copied one of them and posted here.

I think they will have something for the C later. lol

Is anyone know how to connect a aftermarket camera to the Nav monitor?

I found many nice Wireless cameras on ebay. the price is quite cheap .

10. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

I actually found the picture of the optional backup camera for the Prius C (Named Aqua) in Japan. It looks exactly like the camera mount in your link above.

Here is the link to the Japanese website for the optional backup camera: toyota.jp ƒAƒNƒA Âb 3ƒXƒeƒbƒv‚Ã…‚ ‚È‚½‚É‚ ‚½ƒAƒNƒA‘I‚Ñ‚ð Âb STEP2 ƒpƒbƒPÂ[ƒWƒIƒvƒVƒ‡ƒ“‚ð‘I‚Ô

Just click the link and scroll down about 2/3 down the page and you will see a picture of the camera. I want mine like that.

11. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    JDM has many more options. lol damn.

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Before you buy anything, check the rear wiring where the camera would be installed to see if the rear-television-camera connector is available -- the connector at the lower left of the following picture:

[​IMG]

Also check to see if the hole to install the camera is available. If these are available, then you can buy an OEM camera for $600 and install it.

But then the problems don't end there. It could be that the firmware in your display monitor is programmed such that it never shows the camera even if you install one. It might be impossible to update the firmware.

Perhaps, one of those days, Toyota will sell it as an accessory. Check with your dealer.

The other option is to have an aftermarket in-dash navigation receiver installed. There are a lot of fine choices, probably much better than the OEM Toyota navigation:

Aftermarket in-dash navigation receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Nd-bc5-Universal-Rearview-Camera/dp/B00622X1AG

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the Google translation of that page, which may help:

Acqua Add-ons

This is a weird one:

"You can enjoy the esthetic mood in the car.

"The emission from the driver's seat side air conditioning vents "nanoe" wrapped in water slightly acidic skin and hair-friendly."

Bill

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's quite likely that you cannot hook up a rear camera to the OEM navigation for the US models. They probably put the lowest-end navigation receiver to cut down the price of the US models, as the US market is very competitive.

Why not something like this, only $40 and takes five minutes to install yourself:

[​IMG]

Rear mirror

It may perhaps even act as a spoiler and increase the MPG. :)

15. David7

David7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice on the Toyota Australia website that the Prius C (i-Tech model), available here in Australia next month, will have a: "6.1" touch screen with integrated reverse camera~, audio with voice control & Bluetoothâ„¢ compatibility".

(Unfortunately, I can't post the URL has I don't have enough posts!)

16. bell96

bell96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting that the Prius C Owner's Manual talks about the backup camera....

17. NotreDame_MCOB11

NotreDame_MCOB11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First time poster, long time lurker. If I'm posting this in the wrong area, let me know, but my question is; Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket backup camera, or done serious research on the topic?

I am torn between getting the C2 and C3. Have read many interesting comments on here about how disappointing Entune has been for most people, but if I could utilize the Nav screen for parallel parking via a backup camera I could justify buying the sharp looking screen. I checked out navvideo.com but they don't list any Prius model past 2009.

I'm not the kind of person that likes to drill holes and wire, (without a lot of guidance at least) so I'd prefer having the camera system professional installed. I'd also prefer something that isn't wireless connected to a license plate cover that could be easily unscrewed.