1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can the hv battery harness be soldered?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Solerno, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So, I replaced a bad cell in my battery pack after getting the triangle of death. All seemed fine until I went to start the car.. I got error code p3030 and the car wouldn't start.

A quick look with the Torque app told me that block 4 was read 0.0 volts, and block 3 was readying 20. After a quick search, I figured it was a broken connection on the harness. Pulled everything apart again, sure enough, theres a broken connection(see photo)

My question is, can this be soldered? I myself have no experience with soldering, but I know a guy who is decent at it. Obviously I will also be cleaning the corrosion if soldering is an option.

Thanks in advance,
    Solerno

Attached Files:

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a lot more wrong in that picture other than just a broken solder joint. If the rest of them look like that... You have lots of cleaning to do.

But yes it can be soldered. It would be better to get the proper crimp on a new ring terminal. There's a reason no wire terminations are soldered in a plane and the rule applies to cars as well.

fotomoto likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess it all depends on what level of reliability you desire. Obviously, the entire piece rotated when you tightened it. The little tab sticking out on the right should be straight up, inserted into a small cutout in the plastic, which holds it in position.

As for the soldering, it can be done, anything is possible. Probably would have been a good idea to clean it the first time. Based on the photo, you probably want to second/third and fourth check everything....

maybe just save yourself a lot of heartache and just order a new harness from Toyota

Old Wrench It and Dxta like this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I were stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and the only tool I had to repair this was my soldering iron, then I guess I would use it.

But in reality when I had no constraint I'd spend my money and just get a new harness.

2k1Toaster and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for your responses! I ended up putting a new clamp on it like 2k1 mentioned. That was kind of a duh moment for me.

Thanks again!

2k1Toaster likes this.