1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can The Intelligent Parking Assist Damage The Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're wasting your time worrying about it. You're still fully in control of the car via your foot on the brake.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I respect your opinion, but I simply believe that an IPA is supposed to be an "assist" device. In the end...the driver is supposed to monitor the "Robo-Parker" and override this device if your parking evolution starts to go awry. Every IPA equipped vehicle that I have stick time in has an override feature....if this fails...then you can join the throng of people out there who are blaming car manufacturers for things like UA. I've never heard of a case where an IPA system has run amuck and not allowed the driver to cancel the parking evolution.

Permission granted.
    A forum is supposed to be a place for people to opine.
    The really cool thing about public forums is that people's opinions will usually stand (or fail to) on the strength of their own merit. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    No one seems to have mentioned the Green box that appears on the screen when you select park assist, that shows you where the car is going to end up . If the green box is clear of the kerb and/or any other obstacles then the car won't get damaged. If it's not clear then adjust it with the arrows, easy as.
    :cool:

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But the green box is just an estimation (as is the fact that it's green in the first place, as opposed to red if it thinks you'll hit something, or if the car can't turn fast enough to get to a particular place). Depending on a number of factors already mentioned, it's possible to watch the green box move relative to the ground if you watch the camera while the car parks itself. Most of the time, it still won't hit anything - the point is, you have to not be a complete moron to use the system. It'll only hit something if you let it.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius's IPA does have ways to override the system. There's a cancel box on the top right corner of the screen. Pressing the accelerator also cancels out the IPA. If the car rolls forward, it also cancels the system. Now, if the you always have to cancels out the IPA due to its inability to park to your satisfaction, then the IPA's successful parking rate is severely lowered. Some may say there's a green box you can set. You guys are right about that but the Prius's nav screen is low res so the initial setup looks OK. As you start to reverse, the green box and it's surroundings becomes larger and more clearer. Soon you realize the green box is not set in the right spot. Sometimes you can readjust the green box, sometimes you can't. If the green box overlaps the curb, then it's going to curb the rims.

If you have to reverse then stop then adjust the green box, then it negates the IPA's speedy parking ability. So far the one touch backing in parking has been less than 1/3 of the time. Most of the time, I had to adjust the green box somewhat after the initial setup.

People will have their opinions on the IPA. However, most people's opinions are from what they read, not from what their actual experience. If it's from their actual experience then it's from their limited experience. Maybe they test drove an V/ATP and the Demoer set up the green box for them or they sat in the Prius as a passenger while the IPA is being demonstrated. I am asking the IPA owners of their unlimited experience of the parallel parking.

I'm just throwing this out there regarding opinions. If you ask people about their opinion about the Toyota Prius, you'll get mostly negative. Those negative opinions are from people who have never own or driven a Prius before. They're from what they read in magazines or online. They'll tell you Prius is junk, the battery will die in a few years and the cost to replace it is expensive.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.
    There's more than a thread of truth there. I used to be one of those people. The reason I joined this forum is that my company (AT&T---the NAVY gig is only part time now---hopefully!)
    Rather than bitch and moan about having to drive a goofy little car with a 600 page owner's manual, I decided to learn more about this car, since I was going to be driving it every day.
    Along the way I considered Prius ownership, and I got some stick time in some of the other trim levels for this car. I've educated a lot of people locally about the merits (and foibles) of this car---and there are a lot of both. If more Prius drivers out there would wipe the spittle off their screens and use light rather than heat to illuminate the benefits of this car, there would probably be a little less Prius Hate in the world.

As far as the original question: Can The Intelligent Parking Assist Damage The Car?

I think not.
    Priuses have windows...and mirrors---although the right exterior mirror on my G3 does not work as effectively as the one on my truck for planting your right rear tire an inch from the curb, and the rearward visibility on this car borders on being stupidly dangerous.
    If the IPA tries to put your car into a curb, you have the option of stopping it, and doing a mid-course correction or parking the car yourself.
    I parallel park mine almost every day---just like many other people do. Like them---I had to get used to where the corners are for this car, bad mirrors, bifurcated rear glass and all.

If my II had IPA, I'd probably use it....but if I whacked a curb or squished somebody's kid I don't think it would be Toyota's fault.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've found that the green box can be deceiving. It'd sometimes cut across the corner of the car in front, but actually meant to behind it. Part of the problem is the screen isn't 3D and can't accurately show you the precise placement. When I first started using IPA, I'd constantly adjust the green box to pull further away from the curb, more behind the car in front, etc., but consistently found myself rather far away from the curb and the like. Now, I've learned to trust the green box as the car originally sets it and it's never hit the car in front of me even though it'd initially show it cutting across it.

You're getting plenty of those here. Moreover, I've had at least five friends test out the IPA (successfully on the first try) even though they've never driven a Prius before. That's how confident I am of the system.

1 person likes this.