1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the inverter draw current from the 12v system?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RathlinPhil, Nov 9, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would expect "VB", when carefully typeset, would be V with a subscript B, and it would follow the general convention in electronics of using V for the voltage of something, with a subscript to say the voltage of what. If used in a manual where they couldn't easily set superscripts and subscripts, it would just come out VB. In general, a VB terminal on an ECU might be a terminal that's kept at battery voltage, such as one to keep the memory alive while the car is turned off (only those terminals are often called just B) or one that passes battery voltage along to something downstream of the ECU.

So you might never be completely sure what some terminal is just from a two-letter mnemonic, but you really need to find it on the accompanying diagram (that text should really be "see page IN-41", not something about seepage). There will be a diagram there that will show you the layout of the circuit, the shapes of the connectors, which way the terminals are numbered, and which terminal is the VB that you want.

vvillovv likes this.
  2. RathlinPhil

RathlinPhil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I thought I'd better post on here and update. I changed the inverter for a salvaged one from a junk yard, cost 80 quid. Followed some great instructions post by a guy online. It took me about 2 hours and the car started straight up no problems and is running like a dream! It's Great wee car and it is ideal for the place I live . So there was obviously some sort of dead short to ground inside the inverter/converter assembly which was killing the 12v battery.