1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the metal key be duplicated?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 8AA, Aug 22, 2004.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone successfully had the metal key duplicated? If I ever get my Prius, I would like to carry a spare key in my wallet. I realize that I won't be able to start the car with only the mechanical key, but I plan on hiding the spare fob somewhere inside the car. I will either put the spare fob in an Altoids tin or remove the batteries.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure can...in fact some people even got a credit card key...a piece of plastic just like a credit card with their key stamped in it to keep in their wallet for emergencies.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where do you get a credit card key. I had one for my 00 Ford and I loved it. I did not get one with my last one but it was great. I guess I did not get a key because it had a key pad on the outside and I could get in when I needed to. It is difficult to lock your fob in the car. I know because I tried to lock my second fob in the car on my way home with my new car. I had to keep two fobs in my pocket to lock my car. I think it is difficult to loose or lock a fob in the car. I would suggest that the plastic key is not useful unless you leave the fob in the car in a Faraday box for someone else to pick up and use the car.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We used to get a plastic key from the AAA- when they were at the Orange County Fair. I have not gotten one for our Prius but have duplicated the key- like you are at a convention and just want to take a nap in the car but you forgot your real key.

5. mnky357us

mnky357us bweverka

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ Oct 13 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]525118[/snapback]</div>
    You could just Remove the battery or disable it with a clear plastic.

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Home Depot will duplicate the small SKS key for $1.99.

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The keyfob key is available as a separate item from Toyota Parts. I recommend that you either have the dealer cut the key, or take it to a real locksmith. The dealer will make an accurate copy, or keep trying until he does. Locksmiths are generally skilled enough that they will make a good copy on the first try, but if they fail you're out the cost of the blank. Don't let your local hardware store person near the expensive Toyota blank - their equipment typically is not designed to properly hold the small key.

Any hardware store can make a duplicate of the keyfob key on a standard Toyota blank. Mine is a Axxess #35.

There is a transponder inside the keyfob, but the only way you can get one is with a keyfob. I wish the key companies would come out with a Prius transponder key. It would be a keyfob without any buttons, and should cost something like $35.

8. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobH @ Oct 14 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]525552[/snapback]</div>

I was worried about having to be towed if I lost my smart key. So I made 2 duplicates of the small key at my locksmith...both which work great and didn't hurt the original at all... for about $1.50 each. I put one in my wallet and the other in one of those magnetic boxes under the car, in case I lose my keys AND my wallet. Then I wrapped my extra smart key in layers of tin foil (so it wouldn't disturb the normal use of my primary smart key) and with duct tape I taped it inside of my car in a hidden location. And, because I'm a preparedness freak, I ordered an extra smart key from streetkeys.com for $165. That's about $40 cheaper than the dealer. When it arrives my dealer says they will program the new key for $40 in about an hour. I got some of these ideas from PriusChat posts and thank everyone who wrote in about their experiences.

9. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a small key duplicate, placed in a hide-a-key box and stuck it down the wheel well behind the rear wheel. Nice little compartment there.

10. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure. I cut one at Sears and it opens the car fine, but of course - no transponder in it so it can't start it. In my Mazda MPV I hide the original key (only got one!) in the car and use regular key cut for $3.00 to start the car.

The Mazda has a strong transponder that operates a couple of feet away. Not so in my '02 Prius - the original key needs to be within no more than an inch from the ignition for a replacement key without a transponder to work. So my $3 replacement key strategy does not work as well as in the Mazda MPV.

So the next best thing is a $14 (shipped) transponder key blank off eBay that I just ordered. I have not had it cut yet though. Once it is cut it is a matter of following the programming instructions that come with the key and are also found on the net to program the second key as a master or secondary as you whish.

So, for under $15 plus may be $2 to get the key cut at a locksmith, I hope to get a full functioning transponder key. Sure beats the dealer cost for the same item. Plus, if I lose my original key, I would still have a working master key that can be used for programming another key, where if no key is available at all - I hear it is an expensive job to initially program them...

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Nov 4 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]534724[/snapback]</div>
    I still can't force myself to do that. What self-respecting thief doesn't look everywhere under the car?...

12. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Nov 5 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]535077[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is low on the list of the cars that auto thieves want. With the metal key they can only open the door, they can't start the engine. Given the alternatives of being locked out, expense key reprogramming, being stranded somewhere, etc. I happily take the risk with a magnetic box.

13. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Nov 5 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]535077[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is low on the list of the cars that auto thieves want. With the metal key they can only open the door, they can't start the engine. Given the alternatives of being locked out, expense key reprogramming, being stranded somewhere, etc. I happily take the risk with a magnetic box.

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For your amusement, here's a picture of a keyfob taken apart.

The little object under the circuit board is the transponder. It is entirely separate from the rest of the electronics in the keyfob.

I taped the transponder to the end of a pencil, pushed it into the keyslot, and it worked.
    That little 1/2 inch by 3/16 inch device is the active part of the keyfob when placed in the keyslot.

[attachmentid=12332]

Attached Files:

15. sethbrothers

sethbrothers New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Nov 5 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]535077[/snapback]</div>
    I'm completely comfortable hiding a key on my car. I imagine most car thieves walk to the driver's door, force the lock with a large screwdriver, then pull the ignition cylinder to disable the steering wheel lock. Fewer reach between the glass and door skin with a tool and pull the lock mechanism. The rest just drive up with a tow truck.

Any of these methods are faster than finding the key - and I'm the one that hid it.

BTW, the Ja@%$#^uts that stole my car, stripped the good bits, kept my toys and bicycle, used my phone, dumped the car in Kent, and discharged the fire extinguisher inside didn't trouble themselves to find the hide-a-key.

16. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobH @ Nov 5 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]535210[/snapback]</div>
    That's great... thanks for the inside view!