1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can using "B" cause an increase in oil consumption?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wolfie52, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2004, with about 119,000 miles. It have changed oil regularly and the PCV valve was replaced about 4 months ago. In doing occasional oil level checks I have never found the oil level low, no matter how long since the last oil change. In fact, often it seemed overfilled.

Recently I drove into the mountains, and used the "B" (engine braking) far more than I have ever used it. Then, when I checked the oil level, after only about 1500 miles since the last oil change, it was down maybe a 1/2 quart. Not below the "low" level but still low.

It kind of worried me, since I had never seen this before. Has anyone else experienced this after extensive "B" usage? Any guidance appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a great question! i'll be interested in the responses. all the best!(y)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the use of "B" requires the gasoline engine to spin faster than otherwise would be required, it would not surprise me if engine oil consumption was accelerated.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't B create high vacuum too, sucks oil up into combustion chamber?

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might, depending on what the programming does with throttle position (and possibly valve timing?) while the engine is being spun in "B". One could tell by looking at MAP (manifold absolute pressure) with a ScanGauge while descending a big hill in "B". (Low pressure = "high vacuum.")

In a more conventional vehicle, in which releasing the accelerator closes the throttle, coasting downhill with the wheels spinning the engine and accelerator released definitely results in high manifold vacuum that can increase oil consumption by a leaky engine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Using B will cause engine to revs and create high vacuum. That’s only way it can create engine braking. Valve timing could be used to limit the vacuum but it would also limit the engine braking. High revs and high vacuum will always cause oil usage. If your engine is worn it can use lots of oil while doing this. But it won’t create much wear so as long as you keep the oil level up it really doesn’t matter.

And besides you really have no other option. Not using B will cause more wear on HV-battery, brakes, and even brake failure and accident.

7. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use "B" often but not for a long period of time and have not encountered that problem.

8. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for your thoughts.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll check ours and report. Got coerced up a local ski hill, Christmas Eve, and was using B pretty much all the way down. Oil was on top mark, will check.