1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can using CHG Mode be more efficient?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Salamander_King, Oct 8, 2021.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I plan on doing the same, but I have to wait until I discharge my battery pack. I charged to 100% Saturday thinking I was taking a trip that was cancelled at the last minute. Luckily, the temperature in the garage has been in the 50's so I'm not too worried about a couple of days at 100%. I'm usually loathe to drive for no reason, but I may have to if a real need doesn't arise soon.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've never worried about driving the Prime in EV mode, whether I needed to be anywhere or not. Although !! ,, I wouldn't ever drive it unnecessarily near any kind of traffic, no matter what mode I'd have the opportunity to use.
    Deer (hunting) season is now another issue for me, since I've had pretty good luck avoiding deer on the road in the Prime, until a couple days ago. I got the dealer estimate and will have the insurance adjustment when it's ready.
    another off topic rant, sorry SK, Gotta love aggressive drivers during morning/evening rush in the rain. Just a few bad actors can gum up the works / throw a monkey wrench into the mix, real bad.
    I was contemplating starting a new thread in Fred's house about Rush Hours favorite News articles. There's a duessy in search ATM.

#102 vvillovv, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm not worried about driving it. I'm worried about wasting the miles and energy.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I happen to have some gas I need to burn. Before the winter I like to refresh the gas can for the generator and snow blowers. It is over 6 mo old of gas in the can. I just hate to buy new gas at the current high price. At the current rate of driving, I am doing, a full tank in PP should last just about 6 months provided I don't do the long-distance out-of-town drive. But come winter, I would have to burn gas to get the heater running anyway.

5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I was finally able to run one trial today. Started out in the driveway with 26% SOC. Started CHG mode. The instant it flipped from 26% to 27% I reset Trip B. It took 12 minutes to reach 38% SOC. At the instant it flipped from 37% to 38% I pressed the EV mode button and the engine shut off. I drove 1.2 miles around the block and the MPG readout was12.8. Adding 11% SOC took 1.2/12.8 = 0.09 gallons according to the car. A full charge of 6 kWh would take 0.82 gallons, or 7.3 kWh/gallon.

As an aside, I think it's interesting that 12 minutes to charge 11% works out to precisely 3.3kW, which is the limit of the Prime's charging system.

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also did a few tests today. Very similar to what you did, but I did not do the resetting Trip meter at the instant SoC flipped to the next %. So my numbers can have a bigger margin of error +/-0.99%? But at least the result is quite similar to what you observed. That is, the extrapolated amount of gallons needed to fill 100% SoC was ~0.9 gal (average 0.890gal, with range 0.826 to 0.943, n=3). However, I observed that for three trials I did, each time CHG mode got more efficient. It could be within the margin of error, so may not be significant, but the trend seems to be as the engine got warmer, the more efficient CHG mode generator got. Three trials were done 2-3 hours apart each after parked for that duration, so, the engine temperature difference is likely caused by the ambient temperature as it got warmer during a day.

upload_2021-10-29_18-6-34.png

Still, if we believe the number 0.9 gal gas for CHG mode in PARK to generate 100% SoC is true, then it is not likely that using CHG mode as a generator and using the SoC for EV mode later is going to beat the efficiency of the HV mode only for the same distance traveled that is short EV range trip of 25-35miles. But I still believe there is room for a debate that CHG mode used during DRIVE can under certain circumstances be more efficient than straight HV mode.

I have a weekly chore to run tomorrow, so I can test to see if using CHG mode will make the overall mpg better than HV mode only on this route.

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm still trying to think of a way with more signal to noise ratio.

Even given the preliminary results of our tests, I can see the possibility for CHG mode to be more efficient if you know you're going to make a short trip later. If you can't charge at your destination, but need to make one or more short trips that would normally engage the warm-up cycle I can see the pre-charging with CHG mode might be more efficient.

MTN likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. For a very short trip, HV mode mpg suffers a lot. I can never get above 50mpg if I am only going down the road for 5 miles. For those short trips, yes, CHG mode used to generate SoC to be used on EV mode later would make perfect sense.

MTN likes this.
  9. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I forgot to add that the temperature during my experiment was 85°F, so it may explain some of the difference.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, I drove for my weekly chore. I drove the first half (16.8miles) in CHG mode which resulted in exactly 50% SoC gain and returned the second half (16.8miles) in EV mode using the SoC. I started CHG mode with 2% SoC left on the display to make sure I am not charging any over usage of SoC below EV range - - miles. I returned home with 3% of SoC left, meaning it actually used 49% SoC on the EV mode. The mpg displayed in the first half was 33.0 and at the end of the return trip was 66.1mpg.

Comparing this to the same trip I did a week earlier all on HV. The difference in mpg is negligible, CHG/EV 66.1mpg vs HV 66.9mpg. The road conditions and environmental factors were very similar. The average speed was slightly faster for the CHG/EV mode trip.

upload_2021-10-31_17-57-1.png

Now, this is only an n=1 data, but I now think neither CHG mode nor HV mode has an edge when compared under identical conditions. This may be explained by the fact that either using CHG mode to feed the SoC and use it on EV mode or under HV mode the engine comes on as needed to feed the SoC and allows the car to drive in EV, there is no fundamental difference here. If the driving conditions are identical, then either on HV mode or CHG mode, the generator efficiency is the same. If I can, I will try more experiments for both HV mode and CHG/EV mode, but the gas price got so high now, and cold weather is starting, I may not have any chances.

However, there is one thing that seems to be fairly clear from the result. The generator efficiency of CHG mode is clearly better under DRIVE compared to when the car is in PARK. This is because if we believe the earlier results that CHG mode under PARK generates 100% SoC using ~0.9gallon of gasoline. If I apply this number for the CHG mode in the DRIVE result I just got, it means to generate 50% SoC the car must have used ~0.45gallon of gasoline. If the first leg of the trip was driven the same way, then at 67mpg, 18.6miles first half of the trip was using (16.8/67) 0.278gallons of gas. Add them together, the total amount of gas used under CHG mode would be (0.45+0.278) 0.728gallons of gasoline. Now since the second half of the trip 18.6miles was on EV mode, the overall mpg for the 33.6 miles trip would be (33.6/0.728) 46.2mpg. The empirical mpg from the dash was 66.1mpg. Even with the dash mpg display being optimistic, the difference is too big to explain if the generator efficiency of CHG mode under DRIVE is equal to or less than CHG mode generator efficiency while in PARK. Thus, the only explanation left is CHG mode generator efficiency is better while in DRIVE compared to in PARK.

Interestingly, when I was using the CHG mode during the DRIVE, I observed the following. The first 10% SoC gain to 12% took 9 min. This is 2 min shorter than the 11 min it took to gain 10% SoC while in PARK. Then the next 10% SoC gain to 22% took 5 min, and thereafter, every 10% SoC gain took 4-5min until I stopped the CHG mode at 52% SoC. This may be explained by the fact that as the engine gains more loads under DRIVE, the efficiency of the generator was increasing.

#110 Salamander_King, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    MTN and dig4dirt like this.
  11. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This is good data. We can verify if somebody has an ODBII monitor that allows them to see how much current is flowing in to the battery. We know running at 3.3 kW (~12A to the battery) it takes 11 minutes to gain 10% SOC. Your observations can be confirmed with a measurement of ~24A inflow to the battery.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but now I read back and think it through, to confirm faster charging speed during CHG mode in Drive, we have to check the speed is constant when the car is in PARK. I and you did only 10% SoC gain while at PARK. It is possible that maybe even at PARK, the speed increases after the first 10% SoC.

Also, I did not CHG all the way to 80% during my experiment, the speed may slow down as the SoC get near full.

13. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Well, as of now
    1) there is no free lunch
    2) Toyota's HV logic is not able to be beaten with manual EV/CHG use (for average driving conditions)

Appreciate the work!

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That may be true for you and your average driving conditions presently with a 2021.
    It may not be true for other cases besides yours.

No worries, a lot of owners don't take into account much about what other Prius owners may deal with on an average day, week, year and beyond. And how that might change blanket statements made about the car.

#114 vvillovv, Oct 31, 2021
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if my single data point holds to be true, and CHG/EV mode has no advantage nor disadvantage in terms of efficiency compared to using HV mode, there still are some applications of CHG mode that may prove to be useful. One was already mentioned which is to use CHG mode before reaching the destination when there is no plug-in and know there will be a need for EV range at the destination.

Another I now think maybe useful is using CHG mode on a very cold morning below 14F. I use to drive HV mode in my morning commute and saved my EV range from the wall for my afternoon commute back home. This was because, during winter I needed an engine to heat the cabin in the morning, and the EV range was reduced to almost half so that I could only drive one way on EV mode. If I knew CHG/EV mode is as efficient as HV mode, then I could have used CHG mode in the morning commute and used the SoC for the EV mode on my way back. Two years ago, gas was cheaper than electricity, if I did that, it would have been more economical. But now, with the higher price of gas, it makes no sense to do that.

#115 Salamander_King, Oct 31, 2021
    MTN and dig4dirt like this.
  16. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    All of this has been really good info and data.
    I am trying my best to find a time/reason to do my own test.
    I really think I just have to go somewhere with a test in mind.

My only thought is, not only will diff driving conditions ADD to the data...to normalize and make more accurate...
    BUT I think with your @Salamander_King ~33mph average that the CHG is not at its full capacity.
    I am thinking that efficiency for CHG may have a tighter range in the HWY cruising speed.
    Whether that be 45 or 55 or 65 mph...i dont know, but highest speed with lowest RPM etc.
    in a reg ICE vehicle, we all know that idling at 1000 rpm is still burning more fuel for mpg then cruising
    at HWY speed in top gear OD at 55 or 65 or whatever.

?? sumpin is telling me sumpin on this thought.

I will leave it at that until I can add data

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doing some search, I found someone has already tried what we have been experimenting with and came to basically the same conclusion.

This proves 11 min/10% stays constant all the way to 80% (88min).

And @OptimalPrime had guessed it way before us that the CHG mode in PARK is less efficient than the CHG mode in DRIVE. As for the amount of gas used by CHG mode in PARK in his experiment is consistent with our findings. That is ~0.7gal for 80% or ~0.9gal for 100%.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree. I don't have an opportunity to test higher speed testing for I rarely get on an open highway to attain that speed. And a few opportunities I get on a long trip with higher speed, I don't do it repeatedly to be able to do the comparison. But, sure at higher speed, the CHG mode generator efficiency may get even better. And there may be a special circumstance in which CHG/EV would beat the HV efficiency.

As I commented in #85, the sweet spot (the highest generator efficiency) is likely to be at ~2400RPM and a Torque of ~100N.m.

But this sweet spot is the same for HV mode and CHG mode. I still think if you can do the comparison under identical conditions, CHG mode efficiency would be identical to HV mode. That is my working hypothesis now.

19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OptimalPrime said: I recently did a Charge Mode test while idling. While sitting stationary in Park, in EV mode, I let the EV Range drop from a few tenths of a mile I had left over from a trip, to 0 EV range and showing just dashes. Then I put it into Charge Mode and sat there while it slowly added back EV range. I did not touch the gas pedal. 88 minutes later, it switched itself out of Charge Mode upon hitting 80%.
    Is that how they're teaching science these days?

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you are getting. Having read the comments and results in another thread, it seems clear to me that CHG mode generator speed in P is constant for the duration of entier 80% SoC charging. If I did not read that comment, it would have been interesting to check if the CHG mode generator speed would increase after the 10% SoC mark, like it did while in D. But, for me, reading the results from the test done by others is good enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Of course, you are welcome to repeat the experiment. It is probably easily reproducible unlike many real scientific experiments of today. I am not interested in wasting gas on my car just to repeat what has already been tested.

#120 Salamander_King, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021