1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-VIEW (Recovered)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by D0li0, Oct 20, 2005.

1. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I have the CAN-view working in my Prius with NAV. Installation was extremely easy, easier then the coastaltech EV switch.

I just got external video from my computer working too. I can post more details for those who want it, right now I'm still tweaking. I'm basically converting VGA to RGBS that is fed into a SCART connector. I'm using powerstrip (a PC program) to output 640x480i at NTSC signals.

The picture is fairly decent, I can actually read text at normal font sizes although it isn't terribly sharp. I'm also getting some scan line artifacts.

My end goal is to get a mac mini working. My old titanium powerbook doesn't want to spit out the right signals. I'm hoping to see if a friends mac mini will. If not I guess I'll be stuck with a PC.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

oh oh... already have a problem with being connected to the internet on the freeway... too much temptation!!

3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you notice any degradation of the regular NAV screen from passing through the CAN-view? I have seen PC RGB video degrade (soft edges and ringing) from passing though a TV-tuner overlay card.

4. SkiFitch

SkiFitch New Member

More details please!
    I would love to get this working for a custom audio solution (and maybe more) using a laptop - I know I can interface with the touchscreen, but what are you doing to get such a decent picture?
    How are you connecting the laptop to the CAN-view (what make/model converter did you get?)
    What sort of settings are you using in powerstrip? (or is it pretty self-explanitory?)
    Thank you very much!

-Eric Fitchett

5. eranpeso

eranpeso New Member

Maybe something like this may be of interest..
    VGA to RGB+sync converter

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i need to clarify my post.

i do not connect to CANVIEW with a laptop. i do have a Mac Powerbook that i use for my GPS solution and its not connected to the car in any way. i also have the verizon wireless aircard that allows internet connection through the cell tower network.

7. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I've done a bit more work. Finally got my Mac working, and some touch screen stuff too.

I couldn't get the Mac version of a powerstrip like program (SwitchResX) to output the right signals. I ended up buying a used professional scan conveter off of ebay (just do a search of scan converter, there are always some available) I bought the extron emotia circa 1994 for $60 including shipping. It outputs RGB+S through BNC which I'm feeding directly into the SCART cable. I may go with another brand because this one is going to be hard to run off of DC (using an inverter now, it has 5 pins, +12V, -12V and 5V in, some other are just 9v in)

To answer someone's other post I don't see any degredation with the NAV screen passing through the Can-View.

Here is a page with some images, including a short movie demoing Apple's Front Row working off of the touch screen. I have a perl script listening on the serial port, which then spits out apple script commands to control Front Page. Even Norm was impressed with the clarity of the images.

http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

Still no audio, there seem to be a number of aux in solutions out there, that is the next step in the project. I figured the video would be the harder part. If anyone has some known working solutions I'm all ears!

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  9. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I've added a lot more details to the page on what I've done so far.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To Quote my son "Duuude" I think I need help.