1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view sales

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by eflier, Nov 7, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    eflier, you should really consider moving towards a NAV equipped version. This thing really suits the "I want it all" geek attitude, and those of us with that mentality bought the NAV. I think you will sell more, even with cut and splice.

There is one more alternative: A go between connector. You could ship with a pin extraction tool and the bare connectors, instructing the installer to move pins from N3 to the new connector, and put the new pins into N3. Not ideal, but not cutting and splicing either.

Nate

2. sailatinu

sailatinu New Member

I'm game for one as well (I'm waiting til I find out whenever I'm getting my package #7 2006)

3. DHonzik

DHonzik Junior Member

I like the idea of connecting at the NAV unit rather than at the MFD. It would be a more simplier installation without taking the dash apart. I am willing to pay the extra bucks for this solution.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Humm.. taking the dash apart would be nice to avoid!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    eflier,
    Can you clarify for me...is there something more complicated than using some taps to connect to the existing wires in the NAV involved? Is there a difference between splicing and just using connectors to tap those wires? I mean geeze, if that's all that's involved this install would take less than 15 minutes to seperate out the wires, attach the taps (at a much lower cost than $90) and off you'd go.

Also, as I'd mentioned before, it would be easy enough to buy a connector so that the CAN-VIEW could be detached later. Yea, the original taps and one end of the connector would still be attached to the wires at the NAV, but that's really not a big deal at all. I would have no warranty concerns at all about that and would much rather a $10 solution than the $90 one.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Went in for my computer update today. I have to go back again next week!

After I remove the can view! They are worried it might interfere with the code loading.
    They claim it interferes with the "sleep mode" they put the computer into.

So good idea to have connectors for easy removal!

7. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

I assume you mean unplug the 9 pin Molex from the CAN-view behind the glove box and unplug the OBD2 connector, there is no justification for removing the connector from the MFD. With the other end unplugged it doesn't do anything.

re connectors, I got an email this morning from Japan: their combined dealerships can come up with just 2 of the harnesses and 3 of the matching connectors. Has someone else bought all the rest? So the idea of spliced wiring may end up being the ONLY solution, even if this puts off some people.. To follow up Efusco's query, I envisage a matching 9 pin connector pair with 9 wires coming out of each side with crimp connectors on the ends of them all. Cut one NAV wire at a time so as not to get confused, crimp a matching set to the 2 cut ends and move on to the next set. When you are finished, leave the connectors plugged together for 'original' function or plug them instead into a matching CAN-view harness to add CAN-view function. That harness has those 2 connectors plus 2 more to plug into the CAN-view, making 6 total to make this work. But at least those 6 can be off-the-shelf American connectors and so maybe just $10 in parts (plus the labour to assemble the 4 way harness.)

One more point, with the '06 having mainly a new MFD and back-up camera as standard, I need to see one before I know if CAN-view can be made to work. Does anyone know if the '06 MFD has different connectors? And how is the back-up camera hooked in, if its there even in versions without NAV? Anybody know?

8. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Yes, I will do that. I'll take the board in for it's new code at the same time! Just got my kit from DigiKey!

Might have been able to do it right at the dealers, except I went down the street for breakfast and they had already given up when I got back. Only got to talk to the service writer, and she was even more concerned about my block heater plug in my car's bumper and all the "Voltages I had runing around in the car"!

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG!!! That's too much and too scary! For goodness sake do they not get any education at all for that position? And surely the tech knew what it was and not to worry about it. Holy cow that's just too scary.

10. akrca4

akrca4 Junior Member

Hi:

Does the CAN-View Ver2 with touch screen functions work with aftermarket navigation other than Pioneer? I already have an Alpine navigation unit. Thanks.

11. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello :unsure:
    I would suggest not to splice the cable going to N3 because :
    of warranty of course
    it seems very difficult to do a clean job because there is no place to work and the harness is so short.

In the harness 08635-00010 you just throw away ONLY one connector housing.
    But you get one complete female connector
    and you have a complete set of male pins ,
    you just need a male connector housing 90980-11922.
    you should know that EACH male pin costs around usd10!!!
    So in my opinion , it is the less expensive way to proceed.
    Unless you get a connector by a car wrecker ; look somewhere in the forum, a guy in australia got this connector for a camera converter this way...

Another important point: it is easy and clean to make a male connector to hold the pins using epoxy glue.

I have no time before saturday to do more tests but I confirm that can-view works well and provides very interesting infos.
    The only actual problem is a time out : after some time the screen goesback to INFO or MAP automatically.

By the way N3 is a 10 pins connector , but 2 slots are empty so there are only 8 wires :
    R,G,B,S, TX+, TX- , Ground , VR (Video Return, same as Ground).

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Y'know what would be an awesome function to experiment around with
    for future revs of CANView? Wheel speed differential analysis, to
    try and detect low pressure in a tire. It looks like individual
    wheel speeds are readable via CAN, and when you're going straight
    ahead they should all pretty much match. [You could even analyze
    turning by reading the steering-wheel sensor...] This would provide
    functionality that the brake ECU *should have* had loaded into it and
    in fact exists in the RAV4-ev, but not in the Prius for some reason.
    The jury is still out to some extent as to whether the rotation
    delta is large enough to catch a tire going soft before it becomes
    dangerous, however..
    _H*

13. idaten

idaten New Member

I'm interested in the connector-ized version for NAV equpped '06, so count me in as well.

Rick

14. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when using the silab USB loader, there should be no power on pin 1 on the silab connector. cut pin 1 or cut the track or remove the 3.3v regulator.

15. c4

c4 Active Member

If your unit has a remote control, you can still use the CAN-view as a MFD video input and have full control that way. In terms of the touch-screen, the CAN-view currently only has support for the Pioneer interface.. If you have details on the Alpine interface, I'm sure Norm would be open to adding the code to support it, otherwise, if you're technically inclined and have the equipment to do some signal probing to figure out the Alpine touch interface, the CAN-view does output X-Y on a serial port and you can rig up your own input box..

On the topic of connectors- is there anyone here on PriusChat that works with or has contacts in the plastic molding/manufacturing industry or the rapid-prototype/3D-printing industry??? Anybody with a Stratasys or similar printer at work?? Judging from lack of availability from Japan and outrageous costs when there is availability, a custom run of connectors may be the only way forward here..

Certainly home-made connectors can be created, both male and female, and I've done that for my CAN-view unit (I used hot-melt glue which is quick and easy, but epoxy, as Frenchie has mentioned, can also be used- it's more durable, but it takes longer to set and is somewhat messier). For male connectors, the procedure is exceptionally easy- solder/crimp the pins onto the wires, insert the pins into an eraser with the correct spacing and simply inject the hot melt glue in amongst the pins and around the outside, allow to cool and you're done. With a grinder or a sharp knife, you can clean up the connector and make it look quite decent. For female connectors, I used D-sub female sockets with a small sleeve of shrink tube around them to increase tension and to keep the glue from getting into the socket and gumming up the works.. To position the pins, I just inserted a number of stubs of wire in my eraser, and fitted the sockets over the stubs before applying the glue.. Easy as they are to make, I think this would have to be a do-it-yourself operation as I can't see Norm with a crate of glue sticks manufacturing these en-masse in his garage.. :)

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps going through the connector catalogs and seeing if they have any "almost close" connectors (ie, may have extra positions, but compatible pins/terminals with the same pitch, so you'd have to cut off the extra pins and remove any mis-matched keys on the plug, but in the end you'd have something that could be plugged in that doesn't look like a total kludge).. A local stereo installer might also be a resource- most of them have hundreds of harnesses in stock and they may also be able to order custom connectors from aftermarket sources..

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think typical parked-in-full-sunlight temperatures around the dash
    are at or over the melting point of hot-melt glue. I know the LEDs
    I've got tacked down to a little bar of plexi to light my gauge panel
    have shifted around some over the summer, where of course they're
    rock-solid now.
    I've always been amazed at the number of *different* custom and weird
    connectors in the prius. Well, any car, for that matter. Where do
    they *get* all this stuff?
    _H*

17. saechaka

saechaka Member

so will the can view2 work w/any pioneer dvd nav. system? does anyone have a model they've used w/the can view and pics? i wondering how clear the video will come out on the nav.

18. eflier

All I can say is that it works with the Pioneer AVIC-88 DVD nav system. The software to make the two talk to each other seems unnecessarily complicated, perhaps to avoid third party competition? Anyway, I suspect any other model would need equally complex changes to the software and so be impractical.
    For what its worth, here's some actual screen shots:
    The opening logo[attachmentid=1155]
    The 'I agree' screen[attachmentid=1156]
    The main menu[attachmentid=1157]
    a map screen[attachmentid=1158]
    another map screen, different zoom[attachmentid=1159]

19. saechaka

saechaka Member

thx for the pics. what software are you referring to? does it come w/the can view interface. i can't seem to find the avic-88 model for sale anywhere. that set up seems really neat though. hopefully i can find an affordable pioneer unit to work w/the can view.

20. eflier

Sorry, I meant both the software resident in the AVIC and the software I had to rewrite in the CAN-view. They have to send over a dozen messages between themselves during the first 10 seconds after power up before the AVIC condescends to listen to touch data modified and passed on from the Prius MFD.

I got my Pioneer AVIC-88 via Ebay as a remanufactured unit with the latest map DVDs. The other modification is hardware, not software. The Pioneer connecting cable comes with a tiny Japanese connector I can't buy, so I need to get the cable that ships with the Pioneer, cut the end off and solder on a connector which I can buy. I also have to bring out from that cable 2 wires you can take to a speaker to get the voice guidance and 3 more for a separate IR receiver (Neither item is included in the Pioneer package).

Another issue is the Pioneer steering wheel IR remote. The Prius wheel is too small to be able to mount this. Add to that its limited functions and I simply don't use the remote but just use the touch screen. The remote makes voice input simpler, although you can also start voice input from a screen icon, but as voice recognition is more of a curiosity, one that gets dramatically worse with speed, I no longer use that either.

What it is superb for is loading a destination in an unfamiliar area before you set off and getting guided there reliably. The Pioneer install is more work than the CAN-view install, although less if done at the same time. Thats mainly because the underseat mounts for the NAV have to be fabricated as the metal ones that come with the Pioneer are no use for the Prius floor which is definitely not flat and has an A/C outlet in there which has to be avoided too. Definitely only for enthusiasts who insist on their NAV being displayed on the Prius MFD.