1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view sales

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by eflier, Nov 7, 2005.

1. saechaka

saechaka Member

too bad you don't live in seattle or else i'll pay you to install it for me.

2. DHonzik

DHonzik Junior Member

Try looking at this website to purchase Pioneer AVIC-88:

Pioneer AVIC-88

3. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

Dec 21st update. Santa may be bringing one PriusChat member something nice for his Prius this Xmas.

[attachmentid=1511]

This shows the 2 additional connectors and cables needed to make a version 2 CAN-view work with factory NAV. Many thanks to Frenchie for his pioneering efforts! Our intrepid volunteer somewhere in darkest California will be doing an install this Xmas week (if the Purolator sled can make the transition from snow to sun) and if all goes well, it will be available to others as soon as he reports all is well.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Very clean looking little kit!

I know this is a dumb question.. but where does the board go?... does it lay free in the wiring or mount somewhere inside one of the units?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW!!! Nice. How easy can that be to hook up, three plugs into pre-existing outlets....what, 10 minutes the hardest part running the cable under the carpet?

Very very nice, can't wait to get my order in.

6. eflier

Not dumb, I just didn't show the case so you could see better how it hooks up. The board slides into an extruded aluminum case 5" x 4" x 2" (Hammond 1455N1201) Which is small enough to sit next to my Pioneer NAV unit under a front seat. No doubt we will hear from the volunteer how he mounts his next to, in front of, on top of etc., his factory NAV unit. He has promised to take photos.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You refer to the pioneer NAV unit.. is that a 3rd party unit you added or factory?
    Another dumb question cause I don't have my car yet.

I guess my real question.... will this unit work with the 2006 factory NAV unit to allow CAN -VIEW function?

8. eflier

q 1) no its 3rd party

q 2)Oh I really really wish I knew the answer to that. Guess I'll have to wait till an 06 with-NAV owner volunteers. But with the change of MFD, I don't even know if it will work in an 06 without NAV. One step at a time....

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Keep us all posted! I am looking forward to a Happy New Year Viewing my CAN!!!

10. kk6yb

kk6yb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I installed the CAN-View box on top of the factory NAV box under the driver's seat. It's working great and displaying lots of cool data so I can see and quantify what's really going on inside the Prius. Thanks eflier!
    Photos of install process w/factory NAV

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow!... a very nice post!...
    The best I've seen on Can View...
    Will the CanView show In Farenheit?

Btw.... was that barcelona or salsa?

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

the current CANVIEW shows either C or F. so im sure the new one will be configurable as well... are any of the screens new from the original CANVIEW?? we need screen shots!!

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dave, the link he left has tons of screen shots... I'm assuming thats the new one..
    http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/installWNAV.html

Make sure you don't miss the menu to the left.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the CAN-view set up screen you'll see the temp can be set to either C or F and when you toggle between them you'll also note the fuel useage changes from Liters per hour to US gallons.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perfect.. thanks!

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done!
    Any functionality issues at all, IOW, if you are on the CAN-View screens is it easy to go to the various other screens? If you hit the EV button does it stay on CAN-View or switch to the Energy screen?

Question on install....1)Would it be better to have it sit next to the NAV box if eflier could just make the cables a little longer? How much longer would they need to be? 2)Why did you decide to go along the kick plate instead of just running the cable along the center 'hump'--did you consider and reject or just not consider it? That's where I was thinking I'd run it since it would keep everything on the same side (OBDII connector/cable, etc.

Finally.....
    EFlier....ETA buddy??? Also, I think I'd prefer the side by side install since it fits so nice if making the cables a little longer is an easy option.

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan looking at the way he installed the cables it is the quickest way of doing it. I'm sure if you've ever put cables under the carpet an tried to get every thing back down and looking neat you know it's not easy. The way he did this install would probably only take 15 miniutes start to finish. Neat out of the way and tied to the factory wire harnesses like that no possible chance to damage anything and from the back of the door to the underseat area is really easy. I wouldn't have done it any different that this. This looked really good to me!

18. eflier

Dec 30th update: many thanks to kk6yb for his installation photos and for politely not mentioning that in my first try at a harness I can't test in my car, I managed to get the Toyota male and female harnesses backwards.

But moving on.....

On the cable lengths. One of those Toyota NAV plugs can only be purchased as part of a short harness. Once I've discarded the useless connector on the other end, I'm left with 10" .I could spend another 1/2 hour and and solder on and individually heat shrink all the wires to extend to any length. But I can't guess at the new length so kk6yb would have to measure as simply making both cables too long makes a messy install. But to me more important is the way he mounted it on top and sideways means the cables on both ends are not subject to kicking by rear seat passengers when the seat is forward a bit.

On functionality, you can switch to Prius audio/climate/NAV screens in the normal manner but you have to use the MFD 'info' switch to switch back to CAN-view. The steering wheel 'info' button does not appear on the AVC so I can't recognise it.

When you enter EV mode, the MFD jumps to the energy screen as it normally does and then a second later, it jumps to the CAN-view electrical graph screen. That delay may be irritating but is unavoidable. An original shorter delay sometimes caused a jump back to the energy screen. Latest code doesn't.

All the screen shots on the web-site reflect the latest code to be posted in the next 48 hours, for which both the graph screens and the text screens are all now user selectable.www.hybridinterfaces.ca

ETA? I have 9 sets of Toyota NAV connectors (more on the way but they are ssllooww coming from Japan) I have 9 CAN-views built and tested. So if you are willing to go with kk6yb's installation, shipment can be 1st business day next week.

To any of those who wrote saying they were interested, if they want those other 9 units, please email me [email protected] Order priority will take into account when you first expressed interest.

Happy New Year to all!

19. kk6yb

kk6yb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) I don't think there's any advantage to having it alongside the NAV, and with it on top you have easier access to the serial output port if you want to plug in a laptop.

2) I went along the kick plate because it snaps off easily and you can string the cable (use tie wraps to keep it away from the pedals and steering column) quickly and securely. I didn't want to try to pull up the carpet, there's really no advantage to going that route, even though it's slightly shorter wire is cheap. If it ever needs to be replaced or if there is a problem with the cable the easy access to it will be handy.

If you have CAN-View screen active, and engage EVb mode, it switches to the Energy screen for a second and then goes back to the CAN-View screen.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There was a suggestion that the Costal Tech Nav blocker is shipping. While I am not holding my breath, is there any speculation if the Nav blocker with or without the Bluetooth disable will be compatible with the CAN View. I guess if I had to choose I will keep the CAN View since I have the option of the back-door in the 04.