1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view sales

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by eflier, Nov 7, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm just glad all you genius's will get this all figured out and let me know by the time I am ready!........ :D

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just installed my CAN View and I have to say that it was much easier than the Costal EV mod, mainly because you can get your hands in there to do the work! Took much less than an hour. No pins to get in the right spot!! Was very simple.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cool@! did yours come with the recent beta version jan 6, i think?

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am not yet sure how to tell, I am going to get a flash unit at some point. I have not had enough time to experiment. I can't think of another reason to go out to for a drive. I did not see access to MG1 or MG2. I will check it out in the am.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the newer version starts out with graphs and txt screen options. on the older version (actually not sure of this since i missed a few versions) it starts with options that dont specify the format they are in.

if you have txt screen options, start one and touch one of the values and you will come up with a selection screen. the MG's will be at the end of the list.

and i'm glad im not the only one looking for excuses to drive somewhere

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the graph screens as well you can select the items you want just touch the readout and it will take you to the setup screen and you can choose which item you want in that slot. Press Save and you go back to that graph screen. One other thing if you want a certian screen to be your start up screen just make sure your on it press one of the active lines go to the setup screen for that item and select Save and the next time you start that screen will be what starts up.

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's great to hear. The EV mod was a snap so this must be a joke! I'm looking forward to picking up one of these cards soon. What's the approximate cost of a Flash unit for software upgrades?

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $50 for parallel port interface or 80 for USB. the USB requires ordering a flasher for 50 direct from Si Labs (i think that is the name) and then the $30 adapter from

http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/Download.html

this link describes your options.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks I have been stating on the set up menu and that is a pain. I am on V2.4. I think the one you are using is a "beta" version. I will be getting a flasher in the next month or so.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey NORM...

is the SiLabs USB flasher compatible with Mac?

11. joelparks

joelparks New Member

Yep, ditto, mine's installed now too. I didn't time it but if it took more than 45 minutes I'd be surprised.

Thanks Norm for making this available and going through all the hoops to get the Version 2N (for Nav) together.
    Now I just have to figure out what all the controls are. Without going off the road :blink: !!

12. c4

c4 Active Member

The serial port (universal) flasher is apparently compatible with the Mac when used with 3rd party tools, but as far as I can tell, the USB version is PC only.

Don't know about the parallel port flasher (do current model Macs still have parallel ports?)

If you have the SiLabs flasher, be careful with it as it is apparently very static sensitive- mine (a serial version) just gave up and died without warning one day, however DigiKey was very good about swapping it (I got a USB version in exchange- the USB version also came with more up-to-date development software in case anyone else is doing CANview development work..)

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lets see I think you could get a card for the Apple ][ that had a parallel port. Macs have always had a serial port. Some of the Macs with various internal bus could have probably had a parallel port. I may have an old Mac hanging around (PB 145c) with a serial port sitting in the garage. Mac's have had USB and FireWire for quite some time. Thanks for the tip on the static. I will drag out my old grounding bracelet and strap it on. I wonder if I have some old antistatic bags hanging around? I did not see a Mac compatible program how would it run on the Mac. I looked briefly but did not see a UNIX program for flashing.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine came in the mail today (6 days USPS from BC to Missouri)...no time to install but will try to get'er dun tomorrow.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry to hear they are so staticiky...My Mac has neither parallel or serial ports. it has Firewire 400 and 800. PCMCIA Type II/III, USB 1 and 2. DVI, ph, net, Svideo...bummer. oh well. but the USB flasher will work with software?? like what kind...(crossing fingers hoping windows emulation is not required since that i will not do)

16. Frank Hudon

Dave and Henry just a suggestion why don't you just buy an old pc, you can buy one used for about 50 bucks and just use the flashblaster2 on that. Don't even have to hook it to the net, safer that way and use a cd burner to transfer the .hex file and flash your module with that. one flasher and one pc and only use it to flashing your car's module.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it would be nice to have a portable option is all. to be honest with ya, its so cheap and easy to do, everyone who gets a CANVIEW should get one. its nice that Norm gives you the option to not get one, but lets face it... its not a good idea. updating the software is a snap.

18. Frank Hudon

what I did with mine is I have the flashblaster software on an old laptop. So pulled the module out and try and realize I've pulled it out a lot and this time I got some cable and a couple of connectors and made and extension cable and the module now stays in the car and I take the laptop out with the latest hex files and a small 12 volt battery and hook it up to the extension cable and flash it. No more pulling the glove box out and and taking the module into the house and connecting it to the computer flashing it and then taking it back out to the car. By the time I had that done it's flashed and the setup screens done.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a cheep Windoz lap top that I "HAVE" to use for a VPN connection to the hospital and use my iQue. I could use that, sigh, but I would rather swim up hill! I could try VPC but with the problems with interfaces I am not willing to disable the CAN-View.

20. Frank Hudon

the flashblaster2 software is less than 1 meg and if you can download the hex files from the net at work, I don't know why you'd want to swim uphill. All I want out of a computer is to do the job the fastest. I just load the hex on a floppy take the whole unit out and boot it and run the flashblaster software and select the file off the floppy and it's done, normal time is about 12 seconds to erase write and verify the job is done. Shut down and unplug boot car and setup.