1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view sales

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by eflier, Nov 7, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Swimming up hill is so much fun. Getting the Mac to do something everyone said is impossible is so much fun!!! The other box is for when I fail :( but never give up! :D Just another game.

2. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

It looks to me like both Silabs (who make the serial USB programmer) and Dilogic (who make the parallel port FlashBlaster2) have both chosen to use the dreaded Windows. I don't know of anyone else making a programmer for these chips.

I think that old saying should now be amended to 'the only things certain in life are Death and Taxes and Windows'

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know who cares, yet I feel compelled to post that I have gotten my CanView2 w/NAV installed!!

Nice smooth system/set up and interface.

Installation, while not difficult, could have been sped up by inclusion of some step-by-step instructions. Looking at the pictures on the web site did lead me to success, but I had to figure some things out and someone not as comfortable with fiddling with the electrical stuff in their Prius may have had more uncertainty.

Seeing all the cool stuff that may yet be possible is making me regret not buying the flasher interface card. May have to order that when the beta versions seem to be worked through.

One other thing that I don't know if it's possible or not, but I would like to see some sort of EV indicator on all the graph and text screens that are likely to be up when one enters EV mode...just a personal preference.

4. eflier

Hi Evan, on all the graph screens at least, when you enter EV mode, the 'button' at the
    bottom left displays your EV status.
    'normal mode' in white when not in EV
    'EV active' in green when in EV mode
    'EV denied' in red for ~ 1 second when the Prius refuses you access.

On the text screens too, huh? Hmmm.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, the text screens too, I anticipate using the TEXT 1 or maybe Formatted most of all. The graphs are pretty, but frankly I like having the hard numbers for more stuff immediately in front of me when I want to know what's going on. For instance, Right off I wanted to see RPM, ICE temp, SOC% all at once and it was only simultaneously available on the text screens.

Still, don't start changing stuff for my sake just yet, I haven't even driven the car out of the garage using the CANView yet so my usage may be totally different than I currently anticipate. The EV indicator would just be a nice 'bonus' for those of us with an EV button.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Norm could you add the EV throttle bar that goes across in Graph 2 that's the one that I have it on for now, yes I know it comes up in all but would it be possible to put that on the RH side of the text screen?going bottom to top?

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

If EV indication was on every screen, maybe the screen switch should just go back to the screen that was being used instead of graph 1. I'd be happy with just a light indicator too instead of EV text. Two colors and flash for rejecting EV.

Glad to hear someone else wants more data than the graphs show! I use text for that reason. My minimum for regular driving is:

Engine Temp To watch for overheat, with radiator block, and see when Engine can go off.

Battery Temp To estimate the limits on amperes, without going to the formatted screen.
    So I can hold EV or engine off modes.

SOC To see if I need to end EV or prep for hills.

RPM To see engine on or off. Also to max mpg by trying for min rpm.

Fuel flow To drive economically with engine on.

Amperes To stay engine off, and also max dynamic braking.

Other stuff is interesting to check sometimes, but doesn't contribute to mpg driving.

8. Frank Hudon

other than now when I have the rpm on screen I nomally don't use it anymore I just use fuel flow, if it's moving I know that the ICE is running so concentrate on keeping it as low as possible. Nomally we all know when the ICE is running just have to concentrate on limiting the amount of fuel injected. BSOC and temps ICE and HV battery and amperage and I tend to also watch the voltage. When I first got it I spent a lot of time looking at the gas gauge, trying to find when the last bar starts blinking and what it say's in % but spend less time doing that now.

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I keep hearing about this flasher interface card.. what is that?

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A card allowing you to reprogram or more properly up date the programing. I have mine and am waiting on the programer. I wonder if the new Intel Macs will make it possible to use a Mac rather than a Wintel box? Another reason to get the USB version. I don't think we will ever see a parallel port on the Mac again!
    Frank why watch the voltage that so far seams to be the most uninteresting thing to look at. Am I missing something? I am still in the overwhelmed with data and can't decide what to look at. I like the graphs but wish there was a faster way to flip from one to the next in order Graph 1 >> Graph 2 >> Graph 3 >> Back to Graph 1. Same thing with text. The main menu is nice for bouncing around but you could set up your graphs and/or text pages and with one press flip from one to the next. Norm is that possible? Just a thought.

11. Frank Hudon

voltage as it's quicker than the amperage to respond to throttle input and the higher it is the easier to get it into stealth. And when I'm coasting I find it interesting to watch it and the BSOC to see where BSOC changes to the next bar along with the voltage it does it at. Still learning after all this time.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Humm.. sounds like a flash update to the firmware?.... anyway.... there is alot for me to learn in this area.....

I hope the Canview is easy to install.. It sure sounds like something I would like.

13. eflier

Jan 11th update: as of today, I've assigned the last of the original set of connectors for the NAV harnesses to would -be buyers. I got 5 from Frenchie and 5 from Japan (and damaged 1 set trying a different install). You literally cannot order more at one time. They give no guarantee of delivery but you must still pay up front ($35 per set) and just wait.

So there will be no more with-NAV CAN-views available until the next set of Toyota connectors/harnesses comes in from either Japan or France. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Keep checking back!

(Those keen on conspiracy theories might conclude Toyota doesn't want these built)

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee Norm... i think they are upset because you with your $250 CANVIEW are derailing their planned $500 2007 upgrade

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Norm it this possible good idea or bad?
    I like the graphs but wish there was a faster one button press way to flip from one to the next in order Graph 1 >> Graph 2 >> Graph 3 >> Back to Graph 1. Same thing with text Text 1 > Text 2 > Format > Back to Text 1. The main menu is nice for bouncing around but you could set up your graphs and/or text pages and with one press flip from one to the next. I guess I am asking for a next button for the 3 groups so I can jump quickly from one to the next in order. Norm is that possible? Just a thought.

16. eflier

Hi Henry, its not a bad idea. I have to take a time-out to rewrite code to free up some space as I'm getting too close to the limit. If I make the EV 'button' smaller (Evan's generic EV symbol?) I can put a small '>' button bottom left corner (where you can just feel for it rather than look) to cycle thru the graphs. Same with the texts, but it can't go bottom left corner. If I can think of a fixed location that would work for both, I'll do that.

Let me re-organise and see what spare room I can come up with. As a general note, I have about 17 requests in the pipeline and will have to prioritise.These tiny chips have limited RAM and ROM

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just throwing it out there. If we can it might be usefull

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this stage (3 days of the CAN-View), I really want it to return to my previous page when I enter EV mode....I'm 90% of the time using a modified (slightly) TEXT 1 screen to monitor all parameters I'm interested in and it's annoying to have it go to GRAPH 1 esp. b/c most of the time when I'm in EV there are other things I'm doing/watching since it usually involves trafficed areas so reaching over and touching two different soft keys is not an option most of the time.

19. kk6yb

kk6yb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I second the motion. I use the User1 screen a lot (Text1?) and it would be nice if it returned to that on entering EV mode.

If you need help making the code smaller, let me know. That's what I do for a living (code optimization).

20. Frank Hudon

as a thought Evan you could put the 4 items your most interested into Graph1 and monitor it there.