1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view sales

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by eflier, Nov 7, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Evan,

Not sure what programmer you got. Mine I got with the devel kit. Have to select the "C2" debug interface each time I start up the program.

Anyways, you aren't likely to do any harm. I did everythng wrong at first when I got mine set up! Turned out I had a version of Firefox that could not download the file correctly! (All fixed with Firefox 1.5). Norm helped me figure that one out!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tom, I think that helps. I reread, for the 3rd time, the stuff and figured out that the TV goes with the CV files and such so I think I'm clear on that...I'll try to figure out.

Guess I'll just run the software to learn what it does.

I also need to figure out where to plug in the gizzy from eflier....I thought that would be on the outside of the case...do I need to take the CAN-View apart??

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yes the board has to come out and then you'll see the header where the cable plugs on. Have another look at the download page and you should see which side the red and black wires are. I'd love to say more but using the Flashblaster2 unit there are differences and I'm sure the program your using will be self explanatory. All your really doing is loading a file and sending it to a location.
    Edit: don't do as I did and put an extension cable on the header and put the other end where I could hook the lattop to it and flash it with out taking it out of the car but the header is inside as the little computer modules are very sensitive to static disharge according to Norm. We've had a few issues that migh be directly related to that. So just pull the board and flash it........ you have 30 minutes starting now. :rolleyes:

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The programer is not entirely self explanatory. Do not forget to trim off the pin on Norms board as shown on the Web page. Get the plugs in right the one to Norms board is easy the red stripe towards the pin you cut off. The other is tougher. On the color picture you can not see the black wire well but the red and yellow wire show up well and they and the black wire go to the inside of the CAN View board. The program is not as easy to use as the Flash one but it is OK. Do not plug the USB in until you are set up and the program is running. Plug in the USB you should here a beep. Go to the download tab and select your file and set the switches as others have indicated. Switch to the connect tab select USB and connect. The lights should come on the USB adapter. Go to the Download tap check the erase box and then the download button. Ignore the Go button. I have no idea what it does but you do not need it. You should get a download dialog box. When done you have it. It will hesitate for a bit before it comes up while the erase cycle is down. Select the next flash. Set your switches. Reconnect on the connect tab, go back to the download tab and down load. Don't feel bad it took Dave, Mike and I several tries to get it right. Good luck.

5. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

Hi Evan, not a problem. Rather than post something here where it will disappear when the thread evolves, I've tried adding something on my web-site. If you go to the download page on http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/Download.html
    you will see a bright green block you can click to bring up a download help feature.
    I haven't had time to do a finished job on it but it may help for now.
    A few key points:
    1) program your CAN-view indoors in comfort, never in the car.
    2) You can program the wrong code into the wrong chip and CAN-view will stop working until you put the right code back into the right chip, but that mistake will cause no damage.
    3) My shorthand may be too short; but basically the 3 sets of code are labelled with a convention CC for CAN, CI for IEBUS and CV for video or TV. (all folllowed by a date)
    4) Any code you load completely replaces any previous code so you don't need to keep track

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Norm, this is making a lot more sense and the knowledge that I have to remove the board from the box helps.

I'll pay attention to Hydrygas's point about how to plug into the board itself...your new instructions should probably be clearer on that too....the tiny images are hard to make out.

Thanks all, I guess this was intuitive to most of ya'll, but I didn't even know I had to remove the board, I thought there was a plug on the case to allow this. :huh:

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually intuitive gave way to the "dont worry if you do it wrong, you can fix it" statement made by Norm...i think we all had a few wrong turns before getting it right.

i was with Henry the first time he fired up his USB version and its 3 times more complicated than the parallel port version

8. Frank Hudon

have you tried the latest code where the screen turns black with white text when you turn on the headlights for night driving. Norm is the best!

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Norm, Frank, Henry and everyone else who offered help. Wasn't a big deal at all.

My steps....
    1)Removed CAN-View from car.

2)Removed board--just take out 4 screws on 1 end and out it slips.

3)Hooked up stuff (except USB to computer). The pixs on the web site help, but some bigger, closer up ones will help. Just pay attention to where the black wire goes.

4)Installed the Silab Flash utility....then tried to find it! What a pain. You have to find the file under "My Computer" unless you remember exactly where it installed.
    Sequence on my system: MyComputer-->C: drive-->Silabs folder-->MCU-->Utilities-->Flash Programming-->Static Programmers-->Windows Console-->FlashUtil.exe (I guess you could search straight to that, but I'm not that swift with the search thing).

5)Ok, running that program was easy, figuring out how to use it with the Silab USB...not quite as. On the Connect/Disconnect screen I had to hit the Enumerate USB thing to get it to recognize the USB, then it had to update some software that I had to agree to. Then hit the "Connect" button about 2/3 the way down the page (that button could be more prominant). After a little trial and error it connected the first time. Note that you must go through this connection process after moving the switches on the Flash programmer from Norm each time.

6)Moved to the Download Hex File/Go/Stop. Finding the file and downloading was no problem as long as I'd made sure to connect after moving the switches as enumerated above. Note that the software automatically closes most of the time so you have to restart for each hex file.

7)Once all 3 files were installed (maybe 5 minutes once the software was running and I figured out the software) I disconnected. Wasn't sure what was best to diconnect first, so I unplugged from the CAN-View board first. Putting everything back together and reinstalling was a snap.

8)The new icons are, indeed, nice. I haven't messed with the setup screen yet (forgot about the new features there frankly), but will in a few minutes. But everything ran great. I don't want to go through this on a weekly basis, but when there are updates this significant I certainly won't be afraid to.

Norm didn't really emphesis the need/convenience of having the programming board...I think it is imperative. If you're going to shell out $200-300 for the CAN-View you will want the ability to update. I'd even like to see a connector on the CAN-View case itself so you don't have to take it apart and risk damage to the board.

What a great product...I've waited over 2 years for this kind of data and my love for my Prius is renewed...I learn something new almost daily about this amazing vehicle.

10. Frank Hudon

I put a desktop shortcut icon to the flash program so no digging just launch from there. If you haven't yet tried the jan26 hex files you might just as well dig out the module and reflash it again. This set of files really show what a great programmer that Norman is. Like I said the switch to black at night when you turn on the headlights is fantastic.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I used the Jan266 set of hex files. Didn't see the option in set-up for night mode...is it automatic?

I created a desktop link too, just didn't work the first time for some reason.

12. Frank Hudon

on the setup screen you'll see a "video" button click on it and select in the background the one on the right, sorry I can't remember what is said if you select black it'll aways be black but the other one sets it to black when you turn on your headlights.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, now I'm worried I didn't get everything uploaded properly after all...it seemed to go ok, but I can't find a way to enable the night mode...
    Here's the screen I get in the Setup mode.
    Menu screen shows v2.6.
    [​IMG]

14. Frank Hudon

that looks like the jan19 screen what are the names of the .hex files?

15. Frank Hudon

Evan the files your looking for were posted about 8:30 Pacific time.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah bugger....you're, of course, correct. I downloaded those files yesterday afternoon from the same place the Jan266 files currently sit and didn't realize they'd been updated in the few hours since.

Guess I'll dig the CAN-View back out and get a little more practice.....

BTW Norm, the way the little EV indicator now switches b/w ICE on, Stealth, and EV active in real time is very nice. I'm super happy with the current improvements.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank goodness for learning curves!
    This time the whole process took all of 10 minutes including removal and re-install of the CAN-View box itself.

Couple other tips on the Silab software.

After you download the first HEX file go back to the connect/disconnect tab and hit disconnect. Then move the switches on the flash card. Now go back and hit connect again, then back to the download tab, find your file and download. The software stays open this way and you can do one right after the other quite quickly.

And yea, the night mode works nicely.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm,
    How come bhp and mystery and a few other measures aren't available on all screens? Again, I don't really need/want the graph display...although pretty and will look good for showing off, I get a lot more info in a small area with the FORMAT screen and it would be nice to have all available CAN data to select from for all screens.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm,
    One other thing. I think the Jan266 update has a bug...I just can't figure out how to reproduce it.

On my trip home tonight I noticed that the overlay bars for stereo volume and temperture controls were not coming up or overlaying the CAN-View screens. Later tonight I tried to reproduce the problem but was not able to. Frank et al. who've installed this latest firmware update keep an eye out for this and see if we can debug it.

20. Frank Hudon

got to use the car today and had no problem with the audio over lay. Changed to the climate screen and it went back to CV no problem. I'll keep a close eye on it tomorrow as I'm going to sneak out in the morning and I'll leave the Classic key's on the table and drive off with her car. Note to self: Leave Cell Phone Off: in the morning.
    Edit: just so you know your not the only one who sometimes can't get it right, I did the flash last night and checked and it all worked fine. As I have it mounted behind the plastic hump cover on the bottom of the dash, when I put the cover back on I guess I knocked off the wire connector from the OBD11 connector and we're driving along and I notice stuff isn't being updated on the screen so pull over and reset all the options and take off again, notice it's still not working so call Norman on my cell and tell him the bad news, do some fast checks while I'm driving, finally pull over and get to thinking and pull the cover off and sure enough there's the problem. Hand the phone to the wife to talk to Norman while I put the cover back on, they are both laughing at me. Oh ya meet the dufus.