1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Jul 21 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]290290[/snapback]</div>
    You Da'man!! I am exiting the OS X operating system and dancing with the great satin, i.e. I am booting my Intel Mac under windows, and down load the update. Thanks Norm.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jul 21 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]290315[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone down load this yet? I am having trouble with the new MPG graph since adding the most recent software. It appeared to work prior to this. I am getting 32-35% ICE, I have seen sub 20% so I have some work to do!

3. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jul 22 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]290681[/snapback]</div>
    As you pointed out henry, I inadvertently altered the MPG code when I added the ICE on timer.
    Its fixed now (SCjul226)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Jul 21 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]290290[/snapback]</div>
    I will formally propose to marry you when we meet Norm!! Thanks for doing this. It is an important number for some of us b/c it tells us how well we're doing with our glide vs our 'pulse' or steady speed driving.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Works great now. Last trip I got down into the 20's. I think this could help evaluate the acceleration phase of pulse and glide.

6. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jul 23 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]291206[/snapback]</div>
    I just noticed that I'd written the ICE on time accidentally onto the parameters page as well as the trip page, which looked messy, so I've fixed that with SCjul236. Definitely vacation time....

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Norm, Have a good vacation. Since you "fixed" the mpg calculation it is reading much lower and not agreeing with the consumption page very well at all as it did before. There had been some agreement prior now they are very different? My consumption page shows me with 60.2 and rising each trip and the trip and graph suggest the low 50's. That did not happen before.
    Time to eat crow. Very nice dish. I like to serve it in an orange glacé with a side of wild rice and yellow wax beans in sweet and sour sauce with mushrooms and bacon bits. I forgot to set up the trip page and zero it out. I had one bad trip that was coloring my observations. On the good side I was trying so hard to do better I am at 62.6 mpg at mid tank. This may be a lesson for the rest of us. CAN-View that lies, pushing us to new heights. Get rid of that rear seat and spare. Pump those tires up. Yes!! Oh well. The weather is good and my chi is now centered.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Jul 14 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]286463[/snapback]</div>
    Norm, et al,
    I downloaded the new software updates and , as usual, am having some trouble. Now, I only tired this by sitting in the car in the garage, not while moving, and in EV mode...

But, I seem to have all the new 'goodies' except for this m/g+ graph. I see the button, but when I push it nothing happens. Do I need to start moving first to see this or do I need to be moving to see it?

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]295125[/snapback]</div>
    Button should work even in driveway. I think the calibration may be off. I have to push a bit to the right of the button.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Jul 31 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]295142[/snapback]</div>
    You know, that may be it! I had trouble resetting my screens the way I like them and found I had to hit the smaller buttons a bit off to the right.

Any idea if this is something at the CAN-View end of things or more on the MFD calibration end of things? My MFD buttons otherwise seem to be on target.

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]295147[/snapback]</div>
    It's in the canview. I've had beta code in before where it was off. The touch sensing has little to do with the displayed buttons.
    So the locations have to be overlaid to match, and sometimes they get off a bit with new code revs. I'm sure Norm will fix it when he gets back.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Jul 31 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]295347[/snapback]</div>
    It was the touch sensor off a bit. The new code is darn nice. Only complaint is that things are getting a little tricky to navigate. I'd like to go b/w my favorite main screen to the mpg/mi screen with the ICE on % available to add to any screen, not just the trip screen.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]295125[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same inconvenience, after a while of fooling around, in the main set-up screen of CANView, all the way to the top is a center screen adjustment feature, you can slide it one touch and the new button is center. Norm can recenter this with a tweeking of code next time. ;)

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I would ask why the MPG / mile screen is on the Plug in screen? Do I not bleed, is my blood not red, I guess I could go on. I still think it should be on the Trip page. First it is accessible from the main menu. You can get to it in 2 pushes and the Plug in EV screen requires 3! Second I visit the trip display more than the other. Finally it make more sense to put it there. It is a recording of your trip mpg in miles!! As my daughter would say daaahhh. I would suggest it be moved to the Trip page. OK I am an agitator, but is it possible I could be correct?

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I don't really care which page the button is on, but the trip page would be more logical.

But what I want is the throttle horizontal graph with all it's new features on every text page like it is on the graph pages. At least all except the trip and mpg pages would be ok.

In general the only problem I have with canview is there is too much I need on different pages. I like to leave it on one page while driving. The EV page would be a great all purpose page if it had the throttle graph and a mpg instant readout.

I don't want to shift pages every time I go in or out of stealth. So I wind up using a graph page that shows:
    throttle graph horizontally (with soc battery drop and throttle ev limits), and for the 4 regular graphs I display amperes, mpg, engine temp, and rpm.

I then have another page that is the same but shows battery temp instead of engine temp. So still some page switching depending on conditions.

Ideal for me would be about 6 graphs that are smaller like the horizontal throttle one, combined with say 4 text displays for slower changing items.

For temperatures a nice multi bar graph combo would be nice to show: engine, battery, inverter hottest and motor hottest.

I used to be quite happy with the text only displays till that throttle thing came along. But it shows the way of the future: In one compact display it shows 4 critical items without taking a lot of screen space! And it is not cluttered looking like the packed EV page.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple things on the current software version:
    1)I found the page to center the CAN-View screen. Go to the Video setup page from the main SETUP page. Tap the 'center screen' button at the top and you'll see a subtle shift that should put the buttons in place.

2)My mileage measurements seem to be off. Either the display is actually showing 1KM increments instead of miles, or it's off by a factor of about 2..ie. for every mile I drive I'm getting about 2 bars/miles on the mpg/mile display. Please someone else check/confirm this. I'm most suspicious that it's putting a bar up every km considering the origins of the designer, but it could be an input error or something.

3)I'm finding the MPG readout to be much more accurate now, pretty consistant with what I'd expect whereas I was getting some really odd numbers before.

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I'm just seeing some errors and inconsistencies between the avg mpg and the one from Toyota.
    Varies from 2 under to 10 over depending on conditions.

Sometimes it matches when I don't expect it to also. Quite a mystery.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a clear and reset fixed my mpg/mi graph issue.
    I don't think the 'center display' fix worked...maybe a little bettery, but I still have to touch the m/g+button off to the right a tad.

19. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I finally got around to downloading the new code to my CAN-View.

First off awsome work Norm! That's some really neat features.

A couple of observations. The processors must really be hammered now. I've found that the touch screen can be less responsive now. I've had problems touch the mpg button on the EV screen. Seems like a lot of the time it doesn't realize I touched the button and I have to hit it a bunch of times until it switches screens.

I also see the the touchscreen seems to be a little more sluggish on my Mac interface. It's not too bad after a minute of use to get used to it, but it is not quite as responsive, but it's still gets the job done.

A couple of suggestions on the interface. Some people brought it up here already, it would be nice to see the throttle graph on the 30 mile graphing page.

It would also be nice to untie the other text screens from the Trip/EV/MPG screens, it would be cool to just make those their own set of screens so that I can just rotate between them and not get the other 2 text screens. Also would it make sense to just lose the mpg button, and just let you rotate between the 3 screens?

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    How about making a wish list for "Santa Norm". If code space is available I know that he can acomodate some more programing improvements. ;)
    Lets surprise him after returning from vacation. :D :D